When your at a restaurant do you order water?

Do you order water? and how often?

I ask because I'm a server and I always get people who order water.

Do people order water because they actually drink water all the time, or is it because they don't want to pay the $2 for an actual beverage.

Where I work they look down on water orders ( for sells of course). Also the water orders bring down the sales per customer too which isn't good.

I have had people make lemonade (water with lemons) to avoid paying the $2.
Or people just ask for hot water because they bought their own tea bags.

Just curious no need to bash

ZachsMom325

Asked by ZachsMom325 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I drink water alot when I'm out because I feel like I drink too much soda at home.
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i always order water minus the lemon....unless i am at olive garden!! then i order the raspberr lemonade...lol.....i am a water drinker and drink it with most of my meals :)
    supermom326

Answer by supermom326 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you order water for your kids and DH too?

I always have a mom that will just tell me 4 waters ( or how many ever their are) before I even ask. Which kind of bugs me.
    ZachsMom325

Comment by ZachsMom325 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I order water. Thats all I drink
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 2:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Nope, if I'm at a restaurant I never order water. I can have water at home. :)
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 2:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We all get water because it is healthier and it is cheaper then paying $2 for a drink then times that by 5 that's an extra 10 bucks! I would rather give a better tip from the money i saved then to waste money and come up with a small tip because I'm overspending
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• usually they bring water to the table first.
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I order water if I feel like drinking water. If not, I order iced tea, soda or wine. It's whatever I feel like drinking, really.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• @togo90210

I understand what your saying but I haven't seen that happen to much.
    ZachsMom325

Comment by ZachsMom325 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, my DH always orders just water (well occasionally coffee) because yes, he does not want to pay that much for a drink especially since there is a pretty large mark-up on soda drinks. 1 glass of soda from a fountain is like 30 cents at best and you have to pay 1.50 or more for that. It's why they can afford free refils although you would have to excessively drink in order to reach a payoff there. I order water and a beverage because I like to drink water for the health benefits but I also enjoy having something like soda with my meal when I eat out. I drink 1 glass of water before I even touch my soda and1 in between any refills on soda just to make sure I'm balancing out the healthy and the unhealthy. As a server perhaps you can play up on the healthy side of it and say "what a healthy choice you know we offer some very healthy options on our menu as well such as..." Sometimes it's health sometimes, it's thrift.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010