What would you have thought if your child said this?

"I'm not having any kids! Babies are gross, they poop and cry and whine and scream and throw up. And then they become teenagers and drive you crazy and take all your money and treat you bad." My daughter who said this, is an honors student, but can be very moody, crabby, will debate to the death and challenges me with boy stuff. One minute she's laughing, next she's seething. So, do you think I should be happy about what she said? I was speechless, but said, well I'm glad you see that it's not at all easy to have kids, but I love mine so much. And I told her that if she is a good person, most likely her kids will be, too. Mine are even though they can drive me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would think she's being a teenager.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 1:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My brother said something similar. Once he's health insurance kicks in he'll be getting a vasectomy. He's almost 21 not and has no interest in kids. It's a very good thing because he has to patients for them and said every kid deserves to beat from the smallest things.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow, smart girl!
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• How did she decide that babies and kids are so bad that she doesn't want any??? how strange!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'd blow it off. Its a kid and they have no idea yet. Things will change.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• lol, most of it is probably just her being a teen. She'll most likely outgrow it as she hits her adult years, settles down and gets married.

But at this point I wouldn't dissuade her from her thoughts, they may help her keep her virtue and/or morals for a lot longer than some teens her age. At the most I would say, wait until you settle down when you are an adult, you may change your mind.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• hmmmm i saidabout the same thing to my grandmother about the time i became sexually active....
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My DD has said that since she was 2, she is 18 and still somewhat believe it. I wouldn't think a whole lot of it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would not dwell on it, sounds like normal teenage stuff. But make sure she knows how babies get here and that if she's not ready for the consequences and responsibilities that come with having sex, she doesn't need to be having it!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Now that rite there is what it is. My daughter says the same thing. She also don't like little kids. It comes from the way they see other kids and babies around them. My girl saw a baby being born in my house. She freaked out and then said No Nope not me. i laugh kid grow up and feeling change. i pray that she do what she want when she is supose to and that she is happy.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010