Would you disown your child for dating someone you didn't approve of?

Could be based on anything from age, to gender, to race, to drug use, to abuse, etc.

(And no, I honestly would NEVER disown my daughter(s) for anything like that, if anything i would want to be closer to her in some of those situations to pull her away from them, like drug use or abuse, etc)

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no. I'd try with all my heart to win them back, I wouldn't let some stranger steal away my life's work and creation of the heart. No way.

And it would have to be a pretty BAD person for me to go to that length
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• NO but if it was for drug abuse or anything illegal I would try and get them to see that it will screw them in the long run if they stay with that person. If it's abuse that man wouldn't be found...she'll just think he up and left when really he'll be 6 feet under.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No of course not. It's not my place to decide who my child does or doesn't choose to be friends with or be in a relationship with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Disown?? I would never have thought of that. Where did THAT come from??? LOL.
    No,I wouldn't.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• NO.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Nope, I would still keep my child. It's their life and they have to live with the consequences. However, if it were someone who disrespects me, my child would know that they are not allowed at my home nor will I socialize with them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• no because thats what is happening to DH. If they were in a BAD relationship abuse ect, I would voice my concern and tell them I am here if you need me, but they are not welcome in my home because I can pretend to be ok with the situation.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No way. It would just make you look like an ass in the end. My parents HATED my husband when we got married (they thought we were too young to get married, and didn't feel he was from the same class as I was). Now we've been married 13 years and my husband is an awesome husband and father and he's successful in life. My parents have been eating their words for years!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No, I would not.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• NEVER!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010