Is it so bad to want to be a stay at home mom?

I used to be a stay at home mom, until my husband needed me to go out and work. I got a job in a daycare/school. My kids come with me, But the place that I work at is very shady and I have been very stressed out. Plus I work around and with my Husbands sister. We have a hot and cold relationship. I really want to shorten my hours but I don't want to feel like I'm not helping my husband.

jillian817

Asked by jillian817 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

• it's not wrong.... Just talk to him.... If the kids are with you at daycare what are you really bring home?? I mean you are paying for their child care expense right?? After their expense to be there is it really "worth" it?
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• There are ways to earn money from home, without selling candles, makeup or insurance. http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Look in to a home business... I do Ameriplan. But there are tons of them. Avon, Tupperware, PartyLite just to name a few (very few). You would be able to build your business now while you are still working and then able to stay home. I would love to send you info on my business... Just ask.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Find another job somewhere else,,same job differnt place....If you can aford to stay at home with the kids go for it,,,you and your husband need to sit down and talk about it and agree on it though

Answer by louise2 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You have some valid reasons for wanting to stay home. Too much family involved in your job. Takl with your husband to find out what his expectations and feelings are and discuss your feelings about your job.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You have to do what makes you happy. Why not start your own daycare/preschool? There are thousand of work and home jobs too. If you are close w/family you should not work w/family.
    I have done both worked w/family and worked in and out of the home. You need to look for what works for you and your family needs. asses money needs and family needs and find what works for you and your family. Talk to your hubby, and put it down on paper money vs family and make your plans together. It has worked for me, there are ways to cut costs to meet money/family needs and there are ways to make money from home. Need ideas just drop me a line/I have done many things during my 20 some years of being a mom.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It's not wrong to want to be a SAHM. If you need the extra money though, can you find a job at a different place?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i agree with earlier post... write down on paper what it costs you to work. figure out ways to cut back. do you need cable? if you have cell phones, do you need a landline? can you do a business from home? how much do you spend on lunches out? would you have more time to clip groceries, eat in, plan meals, pack lunches, etc? how much gas would you save NOT driving to work every day?
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Consider a home based business, and if you want to make money right away, you need to be in one that is in the 2 largest emerging industries...wellness and network marketing. With this economy, no one is spending their money on makeup, tupperware or candles...people these days are into their health and want to earn extra income and fast. The business I am in has been in biz for 3.5 years and has been featured in SUCCESS FROM HOME magazine 3 times in the ENTIRE issues...this is the first co. to reach its first billion dollars in just 3 years...first in the history of the US. it took microsoft 7 years. This is still a ground floor opportunity as less than 1% of the US has heard of it.. a great opportunity is one when not too many people know about it. I would love to share what i do from home around my kids schedules and make really GREAT money. I hope to hear from you soon.

BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• When it comes down to it, being an SAHM mean sacrifice. You give up the freedom to have the extra outings, take out food, your kids don't go to as many birthday parties because you can't afford to buy gifts to send. You figure out which bills you can do without - eg. I don't have a cell phone, and which ones you can cut back on, I try to go through less than half a tank of gas a week. Cut your grocery bill as much as you can. Shop around for stuff when you're out for where things are cheaper.

You can do it, but you give up the benefits of the extra money.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008