Comparing babies...and parenting styles.

Have you ever had someone compare their baby or parenting skills to yours? ALL THE TIME?
Whats the nicest way to tell someone to shut up?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 9:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES! I have a really good friend that does it, and it makes me feel really bad. I haven't found a way to shut her up yet about comparing the babies, but what I say sometimes, (when she is saying that my way isn't as good as her way) "It seems to be working well for me" and when she is comparing the babies I usually just say "His doctor says that he is doing great and he is right on track" Usually, but not all the time she shuts up because I think she gets the hint, but sometimes her jaws keep flapping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My sister, who has NEVER had a child lets me know all the time that I am the worse mother in the world.
    Because I had my daughter in jeans this summer, because I am not letting her celebrate Halloween, because she busted her lip (she is learning to stand, its going to happen) and for everyother thing I do :(
    I stopped letting her around my daughter because of the way she is, and she had the nerve to cal my daughter retarded!!!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• yep all the time. been a mom for over 20 years, and over that time span I have had many people state those things. I have just learned to agree to disagree. If they say neg. things about me as a mom in front of my child, I stop them and say we can discuss this another time w/o my child present. Especially if it is a close family member. State you do not wish neg statements in front of your child. Most of the time that stops it in it's tracks, if it dosen't just respecfully excuse yourself and let them know you will talk to them another time about it and take your child away from the comments. It not only hurts you but it affects you child because they pick it up from you like little radio stations when you are hurt. Your child comes first.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The best answer to them should be "yea...well..everyone has their own way of doing thingsand everyone is different..whatever works best for me is what I'll do"

If it sounds rude, then oh well. They should know better. My best friend has been doing that to me lately and it does get annoying. Not about the parenting part but I went through the whole postpartum baby blues. She kept saying well so and so didn't and so and so was fine and out of the house the second day. I felt like she thought I was lying about my condition. I had a c-section and no family around to help me. I cried all the time but she didn't even try to understand. Instead she just comparing me to others in her life.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008