Should I remove my child from his current daycare?

My son is currently at a dc that we r having a lot of probs with him. Within the past few months, we have had huge attitude & anger issues. The latest issue I'm having is the dc is taking the kids 2 the pumpkin patch 2day. My mom shows up at the dc to drop him off, and they tell her he may not b goin. This was the first I had heard about it. When Mom informed them that the payment was made and permission slip was signed, their response was, well I don't know b/c he wasn't behaving well yesterday. Now I'm pissed b/c I feel that they have no right 2 decide whether or not my child should go w/o talking 2 me. My husband is mad. We both feel that there is something else going on. Our son comes home many days mad saying his teacher is mean and yells alot. I really want 2 see him with a more certified teacher (his is not), but I don't know if I'm just being a picky mother or if I have legitimate feelings.

Krisgo25

Asked by Krisgo25 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sound legit to me...start exploring other daycare options.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• FIRST OFF, your child has no reason to lie to you. You see the signs that this DC is not good for your son. Don't wait, find a better place for your son. It is normal for anger issues with a small child going into daycare, frustration more than anger because they have to learn things they didn't have to at home like sharing, not being the only baby, etc. But if your child tells you in action and words he is not happy, you need to protect him! Move him NOW
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think you are right feeling that way.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would look for another daycare. While kids can sometimes stretch the truth about what is happening b/c they hope you will stay home with them instead of going to daycare, I don't think that's happening. When you combine what he says with what you, yourself, are seeing, it indicates to me that there is a problem. I would also demand that they refund your money to you for the field trip if they're not taking him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I worked at a Preschool and a Montessori, and let me tell you that if your kid has been "black listed" you need to pull out now. The Preschool Teachers, many who weren't qualified, would do anything to make it harder for certain kids, including putting 3 year olds in high chairs for hours! If you do not see any of the behaviors at home, I'd call the Better Business Bureau aswell. If you pay for something, you should recieve the services you paid for, like taking a kid to a pumkin patch! I think your child might be enduring bulling from teachers basically. A kid that young can not draw the line from his behavior yesterday to consequences today, most don't even remember yesterday!
    bekabunnie

Answer by bekabunnie at 11:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I pulled my son out of his old dc because i was having alot of the same problems. I didnt believe all they were saying until i started staying home with him and watching a few children. He was the way they described. I do not think he should be punished for things he did YESTURDAY, today is a new day. Its not right to punish a child for something more than once. there may be a legitimate problem, but if you feel that a new dc is the answer there really isnt anything at this point that is going to keep you staying, sounds to me like you already had your mind made up and just need that little nudge. DO IT! if it makes you more comfortable then try it. Cant be any worse anywhere else.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• ur feelings are legitimate and if u feel like the teacher and day care isnt doing what u feel is right for ur son take him out. they should of told u about his behavior ahead of time instead of sayin the day of well no he cant go. and if he couldnt go they should of sent the money back home with thim. children act out if they arent happy and if he has changed since being at that daycare then something isnt right there and its not where he should be
    ARMYWiFEnSAHM

Answer by ARMYWiFEnSAHM at 12:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• First find out why you have not been contacted when he has these outburst. Then find out how the daycare chooses to handle outbursts. Do they find other things for the toddler to do, or change rooms, or what.? Ask them to contact you when this happens; and form a partner-type relationship with the director/ teacher/caregiver. Ask if there are cameras used in the daycare; and if so-- ask to view the behavior yourself. This will prove helpful if indeed the outbursts continue and you have to take your son to the doctor. Also, ask them what triggers the outbursts; and share with them what/how you handle any such outbursts at home. Remind them also that he is a toddler, and they are instictively selfish. They are caregivers, and if they want to continue to get paid-- they need to start caregiving..
    frontporch

Answer by frontporch at 12:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think the most important thing here is this is *your* child. If you're not comfortable with the DC then it's time to look elsewhere.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Is there any way you can take a day off from work and go and monitor what goes on? My son's daycare has an open door policy. You need to see if it's the daycare that's the problem, your son, or a combination of the two.

Unless you already feel they are treating him bad on purpose, then it's time to go interview other daycares and go watch them for day too.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2008