i have a lot of anxiety. is there anything besides Xanax that i can take?

i have a dr. appt monday to talk to him about it...im not depressed so i dont really want to use an antidepressant....so is Xanax my only choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• I have Xanax. If I'm having a really bad anxiety freak out then I take a whole pill and feel better. If I'm having a mild attack I take 1/2 a pill or else it'll make me drowsy.
    Counseling for the issue is also really helpful.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Valarian Root - herb that they make valium from. It is not really strong, but takes the edge off. I have only had minor anxiety when going through a particularly stressful time. It helped me relax.

Eat right, drink water, a healthy body will regulate itself better.
    Avoid alcohol and caffine, they can be anxiety triggers. A glass of wine can help you relax, but too much alcohol can be a problem.
    Excersize. It will help you relax later, work off some anxiety and tire your body so it can relax.
    Journal. Get your thoughts out of your head and on paper to help you think through issues.
    Write down goals or check lists. It will focus you and keep your mind from spinning.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You could try natural remedies. There's an over-the-counter drug called Rescue Remedy that worked very well for me with my social anxiety, I'm not sure if they still sell it though. Try GNC or a health food store and see what they have to offer, just make sure to talk to your doctor beforehand!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Lexapro - did me right!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Just pray, medicine comes with bad side effects prayer comes with none.
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was on a low dosage Atarax for a bit to help me. Have you tried other measures such as counseling and relaxation measures already?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Get a medical marijuana card depending on where you live, ha. Kidding (sort of)... but if you dont want to do that I'd recommend lifestyle changes, meditation, counseling... I don't support prescription medications.
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 2:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I take Citalopram, but mine is for anxiety, depression, anger and post traumatic stress disorder. I hate the idea of having to medicate myself to get by during the day, but unfortunately some of us have to.
    ShadyzLady

Answer by ShadyzLady at 2:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010