why do i feel pain at the dentist even after they have numbed me three times?

they keep giving me more and more numbing stuff when im there and i still feel pain while they are working....does this happen to anyone else?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• Novacaine has zero to little effect on me, plus it tends to give me heart palpitations, so my dentist uses a different kind of anesthetic. You should talk to your dentist about possible alternatives, as there are many choices available now.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. They have to put me out or I feel most of the procedure. I have a high tolerance for the numbing med that they use.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I still feel it too if I'm getting something drilled or a root canal. The only time I was completely numb to the pain is when I had 2 teeth pulled. My entire face was numb all day but the procedure was painless.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• put you out? you mean with an IV? what med do they use for that?
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have an intolerance to Novocain... so I felt a lot the first time I got a cavity filled, after I was screaming in pain they realized I needed to take something different for pain, I don't remember what its called, but there is another type of local anesthetic they can use.
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• thats what i dont understand...i just had a tooth pulled and i didnt feel anything!! and i dont know if its standard procedure but they cut the tooth in half first with the drill and i didnt feel it at all...and it was infected and very very painful beforehand....so why is it that i go in for a simple cleaning or filling and get numbed repeatedly and still feel it....so annoying because im terrified of the dentist anyways so i just wanna get in and get it all done with
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When they pull a tooth, they are removing the nerve, for fillings, they are leaving the nerve. IMO fillings are more painful than pulling a tooth.
    They gave me the gas, not IV
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. I had a back molar do that all the time. It started when I was 19 and I went to three different dentists and had my wisdom teeth out because one of them thought they were putting pressure on a nerve. Nothing worked. When I was getting that tooth set up for a bridge, I could not get numb and the dentist had to use a very strong anesthetic and inject it into the tooth, pretty much all the way to the jaw. It did work but I was so sore after.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010