raw cookie dough

As a child, when my mom made cookies, brownies etc, licking the bowl was the BEST part lol. We werent aware of the salmonella risk. Well I just made some cookies from scratch and my son helped me add ingredients, mix a bit and plop the cookies on the sheet. I caught him take a few small samples of the cookie dough before I put them in the oven. Do you allow your kids to do so? Or do you freak out? I'm not too concerned because it was such small portions.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I know there is a risk, but I honestly don't freak out. If people are really concerned, stick with eggs from small farms where the chickens are known to be healthy.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yeah why not, its a small part of childhood
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We do it. It's still the best part. My kids love licking the bowl.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. My DD likes to lick the beaters when I'm done mixing.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 2:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have always licked the bowl so yes I would and do.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• To be honest I freaked when my oldest was a toddler until he was about 6. Salmonella was around when we were kids, even if we weren't aware of the risk. I don't let my kids eat gobs of raw dough or batter, but they at least get the spoon, bowl, or beaters. Whichever has enough to get some of the good stuff but not enough that they'll get sick - and I'm not concerned about salmonella at this point. It's more trying to avoid upset tummies from eating too much of the sweet stuff.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I still do it myself, lol! I don't allow my daughter to do it because she's still too young (16 months) but when she's older I don't see why not.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yes, We all do it!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I had salmonella as a child. It was awful. I don't know where I got it but I will never take a risk where I might get it again nor will I allow my kids to do so. ANY amount of raw eggs, even a teaspoonful, can get you sick if the organism is present. I just dont see the point in putting yourself in that position. I guess its the "It wont happen to me" mind-set.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was only allowed bites before the eggs were added. After eggs, I wasn't allowed. Same for my son.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010