Are charter schools worth trying?

My Kindergartener is having trouble in school because they are learning numbers one to ten and he knows ALL numbers. I feel like I'm wasting his time sending him to school. He is now getting into trouble and the school is in a hurry to diagnose him with whatever and put him on meds! I can't afford a private school, so I was checking out charter schools; but if they're worse, I'd rather try and fight the current system!

bekabunnie

Asked by bekabunnie at 10:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it depends on where you live and the school. Research the individual schools. There are a couple where I live that are decent. The rest are just as bad as public schools.
    peanutsmom323

Answer by peanutsmom323 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I went through a charter school when I was in high school and loved it I got to choose what I wanted to take and graduated a year early. I am home schooling my son and wish they had a charter school here for him. I really love them.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would talk to the teacher about giving him some extra work. If he is really more advanced then the other students then the teacher should be able to give him extra work. It sounds like he is bored so he is acting out and getting in trouble.

I know that with my son I went to the teacher and had a long conversation with her about how he needed to be challenged and since then he has been doing great.

We do not have charter schools around here and the one that we do have my children are not old enough to go to. I have heard good and bad things about it.

I think that no matter were you go there are pros and cons. I believe as parents we have to be on top of what is best for our kids.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Charter schools are great they are very advanced and he will never get bored. You have to read up on the one of your choice and make sure you check test scores over the years that is very important for our children of today.
    Godsanointed08

Answer by Godsanointed08 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• IMO yes. Mine go to a charter school bc the public school we had them in was failing the state requirements and where they are now, they're doing much better!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• All of my school aged children are in charder schools and I love it. The classes are smaller so they tend to learn more and get more hands on. I love the fact that with the charter schools that my kids go to there is NO real home work. The only home work that they have is if they miss a day or spelling. and Since I have 6 of my kids in school I am very thankful. I did have them in regular schools. And with 4 in school at the time the homework was just umbelieveable I wanted to ask teachers if they actually teached anything at school. They would have at least 3 to four hours of homework each. Now my kids are actually liking school again.
    trchr8

Answer by trchr8 at 5:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My children will be going to a charter school this yr. I think it will do them good b/c the classes are smaller and if the child can't read at the disired level they'll help them in stead of passing the child confused to the next grade, or if the child is reading above the grade level the child can go to a higher level.The days are longer to 8-4:30 not sure how that will go..
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 2:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009