keeping preschooler from getting sick?

My son started school 3 weeks ago, and he came down with a nasty virus the first week. ever since hes started he seems to always have a runny nose and cough, hes been to the dr, got his flu shots etc, but what else aside from the obvious like frequent hand washing and liquids can help keep him strong and healthy?

juansmommy

Asked by juansmommy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If this is his first experience with a large group of kids, this is normal. He'll build up an immunity. Besides hand washing, there is not much you can do!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• you'll be one rich momma if you find the answer to that one ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Probiotics help with healthy digestion and have also been shown to be helpful in preventing sickness and strengthening the immune system. Healthy bacteria in the gut is a big part of immunity. You can find probiotics formulated for kids in health food stores.

Another thing I have heard of is Mycelium...which is a type of mushroom that boosts T-CELL production. But it is crazy expensive. One bottle is about 30 dollars. Of course, you can also make sure he is getting plenty of vitamin C as well.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Hello! I'm not sure either my little girl just started school about 5 weeks ago and I'm worried about her getting ill also.
    KayAZ

Answer by KayAZ at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If your kid hasnt' been exposed to other kids a lot, it's going to happen. After he gets over them, the more his body should build up against these diseases.. good vitamins helps as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would think that having your kids eating right, taking vitamins, taking showers/baths frequently, washing hands, getting plently of rest, getting any vaccines needed along with flu shots, and of course taking vitamin c in certain elements of the year. Hope that helps.
    Traci1979

Answer by Traci1979 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies who said that if he hasn't been in groups with other children, he is going to have to build up an immunity. I started taking my Son to Toddler Playtime at our local library when he was 18 months. He was literally sick 3-5 days after we were at the library almost every time. He was sick every month almost. I also would ask at your Preschool about their cleaning routine. My Son goes to Preschool now and as soon as everyone leaves the class, cleaning begins. They vacuum and clean thoroughly Every time a class ends. Also give your Son vitamins daily and try giving him a bath as soon as he gets home from school. That should help with the colds too. Also try teaching him to keep things and hands out of his mouth and nose. Good luck and definitely let the teacher know he keeps getting sick and maybe they need to be more attentive when Moms drop off sick kids and their cleaning routine.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Immune building supplements, a balanced diet, plenty of sleep and hand washing. Beyond that, it is hit or miss what he will be exposed to.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Trying eating foods rich in vitamin C. It helps build the immune system. My son has attended preschool 3 years now. In the 4.5 years he has been alive, he has only been sick 3x.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• kids gonna get sick because they go to school with nasty kids that cant help their parents dont think hygiene is that import just keep meds on hand and get checks and eat healthy and pray
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2010