• In the Spotlight:

RAW feeding your pets? Weird?

I feed my Dog and Cats RAW (prey model) after doing a lot of research on the subject and talking to dozens of others that have done it for years.
RAW feeding has been around for decades even centuries! What did people feed their pets before dog food (aka kibble) was invented?

Do you think it's weird? Wrong? Dangerous?
Do you feed RAW?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 2:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pets

• as long as its healthy for them and they will eat it, its fine.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think that it is fine as long as all the mineral and nutrients are being compensated for. A wild animal eating prey is also eating the organs which are full of vitamins and minerals. Plus fresh prey is going to have more nutritionally to offer than pre-packaged meats. Done well it's a good diet.

Story time!
    I work for a vet and there was a little dog that came in to be spayed. It was only fed raw hamburger. Well the owner took the dog home and it was in the ER that night. It chewed it's stitches and ATE part f it's intestines. EW! they had to remove like half of the small. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I never thought about doing it but just started with one of my dog he seems to really like it.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't think it's weird or wrong, I just don't have the time/inclination/stomach for it.... I remember my old dog growing up refused to eat anything but raw cow stomach, and that stuff STANK! No way can I handle that. Plus, I have issues with raw meat to begin with, it grosses me out.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Anything I feed my cat is kibble or cooked what she catches herself is raw. Lol. I am always finding mice, moles, squirrels. The other day she ate a cricket.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I like the B.A.R.F. Diet. It incorporates raw veggie into the mix. The only part I don't like is they recommend , turkey, raisins and grapes which can be toxic to dog. I don't know anything about prey model I'll look it up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I feed my dog Blue Buffalo, a holistic diet(he eats better than we do) and he gets carrots and raw chicken/beef/pork for treats while I'm cooking. He likes it! ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Let me see if I can find a good link. It is on our list of toxins at work...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Turkey isn't toxic... but turkey skin has an awful lot of fat in it, and if the dog eats a lot of it they can get pancreatitus..
    It's cumulative too, so we just strip the skin off, just in case.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm having issues finding a reliable looking site. I want to clarify that it would have to be a lot of turkey to actually make them sick. I try to remember to ask why Saturday...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010