Your religion...

Is it a way of life or simply something you believe to be true?

I was reading answers to another question, and a number of answers stated things like "I don't talk religion IRL" or something similar. For me, I don't need to "talk religion" my beliefs are more than obvious by how I strive to live.

Which makes me wonder how someone simply not talking religion is possibly enough to hide their beliefs - if they are truly your beliefs, how do you not live by them?

So what do you think? Religion, is it simply something you believe to be true, or a way of life?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I try to live my religion.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It should be a way of life
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 2:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• something that beings you peace of mind and highly personal. It shouldn't effect others in the least.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A way of life. People can often see what a person believes by actions rather than talking about it (actions speak louder than words). So I believe that if I live my life along the lines with what I believe then others will see that and I will possibly be of greater influence by living it rather than pushing it down someones throat. I am all about talking to who wants to hear but some people don't want to hear it, the only way to show it is by living it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I truly believe it depends on your religion... lol does that make sense? I am not one specific religion, though I go to a christian church. I believe in All Paths to God.
    I feel that God, being all knowing, knew there would be no ONE way to reach all of humanity because everyone is different (by God's design) and therefore appeared to different people at different times in different forms.
    I do know that what God (I use this term as a relative term because nearly every religion has a different name for 'God') wanted us to learn was love and compassion and wants us to treat each other as equals.
    So that's how I try to live my life. I go to church because I agree with the morals, but do not agree that one religions is the right religion and all others will go to hell.
    I believe in Live Love Laugh and that is how I live my life... not that the occasional person driving 25 in a 45 doesn't super irritate me! lol
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think it depends. For some faith can be confined to their personal relationship with (or personal beliefs about) the Divine that may not bleed over into other aspects of life, especially if someone feels as though their religion isn't the reason (or only reason) they are moral, compassionate people. They may feel as though it is merely one more aspect to their life, or of who they are, on top of the rest of what makes up their life or the person they are. And I can certainly understand how not talking about it could mean that they don't let other people into that personal relationship, since acting in a moral, compassionate way (as all faiths encourage and can even be found outside of faith) doesn't exactly serve as an indication of faith or belief....

As for me personally, my faith is who I am. Sure, I tend to be obsessed with religion, lol, but I do focus on my faith in most all that I do. And I discuss it openly. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• MayMommaToBe, that's very similar to what I believe. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It's both: what I believe and how I live my every day. I don't deliberately go out of my way to talk to people around me about Catholicism, but the co-workers I had before I became a SAHM knew I was Catholic without me saying anything, because actions speak louder than words, and some would flock to me regularly with questions, which I was happy to answer.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I always say 'I practice Buddhism' rather than 'I'm a Buddhist' because Buddhism is not really belief-based... my life is my spiritual practice. This doesn't necessarily mean that you would know my faith by my behaviour... a lot of what I strive to practice, like compassion and peacefulness, is something that shares common ground with a lot of belief systems. I don't go out of my way to advertise what I practice, but neither do I hide it. Anyone who knows me well knows that I practice Buddhism. People who don't know me well might get some ideas by some aspects of my practice (vegetarianism, for instance.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• (From a Christian perspective) It is something I know to be true that I live my life by, but not in the sense of legalistic obligation. I think people are turned off by the term "religion" because our culture uses it to imply legalistic obedience. They tend to then resort to antinomianism which is an utter disregard for law. Neither is acceptable in God's eyes. There is a very fine line between the two - that could be what Christ refers to as "the straight and narrow."

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010