pee pad train a basset?

Hi! We just got a 13wk old basset hound puppy and I'm pretty sure he was neglected or something before we got him. It's one of those 'friend of a friend' things. We've only had him for a day and were told he was nearly fully trained (potty) but I'm thinking "um no," but I guess I could be wrong. This is his 3rd home in 48 hours. So I want to pee pad train him for night time because I have no intention of sticking him in a kennel.
I know bassets are supposed to be hard to train but I've already trained him not to jump on my daughter and it's been less than 24 hours. so he's a smart littl guy.
But how do you begin to pee pad train a dog? I've potty trained dozens of kids... just never tried a dog before. lol
Help?
Thanks in advance, incase I don't get have time to get back to you!

MayMommaToBe

Asked by MayMommaToBe at 2:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know about a pee pad, but we took in a Husky last year and she wasn't house trained. I just kept taking her out on a set schedule, and she learned in about 3 days. I made sure to take her out of the same door, as soon as we get up in the morning, and every hour all day. Then at bedtime we took her out right before and then she stays in our room with the door closed so she's not roaming the house at night. I have never put a dog in a kennel, and never will. We have 3 large dogs and all do great.... You just have to be consistent. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Puppies are exhausting, and yes, bassets are incredibly stubborn, but cute! The best way to potty train a puppy is to restrict them to a smaller area (preferably the kitchen, or some place with easy to clean floors), especially at night. Put down some pads, and believe it or not, most puppies WILL use them. Something about the smell, and because they don't like peeing on hard surfaces. During the day, make sure to take the dog out frequently, telling him to "go" (or whatever command you want to use, just be consistent), and rewarding him whenever he does go...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Cate training is by far the quickest way to housebreak a puppy. Puppy pads are pointless. Every dog that I have ever worked with had to be retrained because it taught them to pee on whatever was left on the floor. I understand that you don't want to use a kennel but there is nothing wrong with them. my dogs love their crates and go in them on their own with being told to.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Crate training is the best way. Take him out about 10 minutes or so right after he eats. Don't get a big crate, bec he'll have too much room and still pee or poop, but he won't go if it's small where he sleeps. When he does go, give him lots of praise. I use to give my puppy tiny treats every time she went outside and a lot of praise. Also take him to the same spot so they get use to the smell and gets the idea. Good luck, maybe a good loving home is what the little guy needs, wiht a lot of patience thrown in for good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My mom put out a pee pad for her dog and when the dog would start to go in the floor, she would put the dogs nose to it and run her over to the pad. She did it every time. It took a few days and now the dog uses it fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• OH, restrict water about 2-3 hrs before bed time. But, never rub a dogs nose in pee or poop not a way to train a dog. Love and kindness works better.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i have 2 bassets and the males will still pee on stuff even when he is trained b/c they like to mark their territory unless he's neutered. like pp said, put him in a small area like laundry room or bathroom and get alot of pads put them down beside each other like making a trail to the door...then in about a week or so, reme the 1st pad, then son on until you have only one pad in the room where he stays GL bassets are so stubborn
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Crates are the way to go. It's my dog's haven (she's 8). We don't even put her in it unless there are small children here who are afraid. She LOVES her kennel.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2010