how can i convince my doc to give me Xanax without making him think im just a pill head?

ive been prescribed Xanax before for certain occasions like flying or dental work and i know that it helps big time with my anxiety and i dont even have to take a whole dose...i know that i wont get addicted to them but im scared of asking my doc for them for fear that he will think im a drug seeker....im having some major trouble with anxiety tho and i know they would help me immensly...i cant over use them because even a whole pill of the smalest dose makes me drowsy and im a new Mom and we cant be having that! : ) so how do i explain all this to him? i know hes going to want to use an antidepressant instead but im not depressed and those take forever to work and they make you gain weight...just typing this is making me feel anxious and panic-y....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• Just explain your anxiety to your doctor. There are other types of benzodizepines (what Xanax is classified as) that are not as strong and help relieve anxiety attacks such as Ativan (Lorazapam) and Libirum. But there is caution with any type of benzo's because of the high risk of dependency even at low doses. Xanax is one of the most powerful benzo's. Maybe explain you have used xanax before but it does make you drowsy and see if they can precribe you something else for the times you need something for your anxiety.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ask him and explain the situation
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• All I had to do was call my doctor's office and tell them I was having a severe anxiety attack over a certain situation. They called it into the pharmacy for me and I picked it up within the hour.
    If you don't normally ask for tons of meds why would he think anything of it?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, an antidepressant also works for mild to moderate anxiety. Honestly unless you are having severe panic attacks, Xanax is not the route to go. There are other things you can use PRN, like a small dose of a neuroleptic medication, that is non-addictive.
    I would talk to your doctor and explain your situation regarding your anxiety. Let your doctor come up with a treatment plan. You can explain that Xanax has helped in the past but I don't know if I would just come out and flat out ask for it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Xanax is more for an as needed basis unlike antidepressants. SO maybe you telling him you don't need it all the time will help. Good luck,
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• That pill is extremely addictive, it is a make me feel good pill, why don't just come out and ask for it?

Answer by older at 2:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I used to feel the same way as you....My anxiety and panic attacks would take over and I Thought xanax was the best thing for me because it helped me so much. However, I learned it was helping in the wrong way. It was helping but I was getting used to taking a fourth of one everytime I had an attack. After some time I decided to seek counseling to help with the anxiety issues because I was becoming controlled by the panic attacks. With counseling I learned some great techniques to deal with anxiety. I also learned that BUSPAR is a WONDERFUl anti anxiety drug. It is not habit forming and it helps you learn to deal with anxiety. It doesn't make the attack go away asap like xanax does but it helps you so much more in the long run. They gave me some xanax to help until the buspar got in my system and now I would not look back. The Buspar has taught me to deal with my anxiety and not take a pill for it. I would recommend trying...
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• something other than xanax. I think if you tell your Doctor that you want help with your anxiety and are willing to try taking other things that they will give you some xanax to get you through until the antidepressant or anti anxiety pills start to work. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I used to take clonazepan for anxiety. It didn't make me too drowsy.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 12:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010