Any tips on how to get my 15 month old to wear glasses

My son got glass this week and he wants nothing to do with them. It has only been a few days but I was looking for any great ideas for encouragement! Thanks!

MelanieJ1013

Asked by MelanieJ1013 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be patient and keep putting them on him. My middle dd got glasses at 18 months. She liked wearing hers but there were weeks where she refused and I didn't push it too much (I didn't want her throwing a fit and breaking the glasses). What worked for us was calling her "strange girl" whenever she didn't have them on. We'd make a big deal about looking for "Brenna". She would follow us around saying she was right here (well she didn't talk but made it known she was there). Finally she would run and get her glasses and go "tadah!" and we'd make a huge deal about finally finding Brenna and getting rid of that strange girl that was in her clothes. She's almost 6 now and we still refer to her as strange girl if she doesn't have her glasses on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• That young ,,I don't think your going to find anything to keep thows glasses on him but super glue..

Answer by louise2 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son just got glasses also. He is 5 & I have a hard time getting his to wear them. What I have been doing is. I tell him he can wear them for a half hour & off for a hour & on for a half & off for a hour. It works sometimes not all the time. So I wish you luck!
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• only thing you can do really is buy the straps that go around the legs, or maybe if he likes any kind of cartoons, find frames that he thinks are neat.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• keep putting them on him and encourage him with a "i am so proud of you for being a big boy and wearing your glasses" or "how handsom you look" and show him in the mirror.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• justanotherjen..... love that idea!!! I have a 15 month old and its hard enough to keep him in socks!! lol
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• justanotherjen... thank you so much for the advice. My son has been wearing his glasses and we have been using your technique!!
    MelanieJ1013

Answer by MelanieJ1013 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2008