Why do you think more doctors don't encourage parents to research?

I know what I think...

But why do you think doctors don't encourage parents or parents to be to research things like breastfeeding, vaccines, circumcision and so on? Shouldn't a good doctor want to make sure their patents (or the person making the medical decisions) to have all the possible information before making choices?

I have yet to have an OB or Peds say to me, "Before you make a choice, do your research and get to know all the sides of the argument first."

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• $$$$$ MONEY, MONEY, MONEY....I know I worked for a ped.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Its not their jobs to interfere or tell you what to do, they can only advise and many own't do that unless asked. People are lawsuit happy nowadays and they aren't willing to risk saying more than they have to anymore. So blame the patients, not the doctors.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They want to do it all their way and think that because they went through the school and you didn't that they are GOD like and you know nothing. Also, they don't want you to interfere in their plans.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i have never thought of that but its a REALLY good point.

Instead of just telling us what to do...why dont they point parents in the direction of GOOD internet sites and books that would help educate us.

I am a researcher without anybody telling me to do it, but as a teacher it comes very naturally to me to figure it out on my own. But I know of moms who just go on the Dr's word alone without figuring out their own ideas or questions they may have about the topic!!!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Researching can sometimes alarm patients unnecessarily and overload of info can also be a bad thing.

Answer by older at 2:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No idea. My son was just diagnosed w/ epilepsy though and the doctor handed me a whole packet of websites to go to and research as much as possible and even tol dme to go to youtube and look at videos of other seizures. I was floored a doctor was telling me to research it. Most of the time, doctors tell you to stay away from the internet for anything medical.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I guess one reason they might not encourage people to research is because of all the false information out there. Right now you can try to research anything and find so much conflicting information- how do you know what to trust?? It may be difficult for parents to get their hands on reliable material.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Because they believe their word is law and that they know better than us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well a lot of the time it's hard for normal people to understand all of the research and the reasoning behind such a descision.... if study X decides that something is healthier, and study Y says it's not... how do you decide?
    Methodology? Comparions?

Unless you're involved in a medical / scientific field it's incredibly difficut to make an accurate and informed descision because you don't know all of the details involved.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• if parents knew that a lot of things could be solved with simple herbal an cheap country remedies..they couldnt charge u the arm an leg to come an seem them an buy the high price meds
    my dd had acid reflux bad..an he asked me how i kept it down..i told him simple remedy of dab of baking soda on paci..he laughed an told me if i keep doin grandma country remedies i would put peditricians ofc out of bizness
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 4:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010