How can I get my 3 month old to sleep through the night?

Jrjap1

Asked by Jrjap1 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is kind of small to be sleeping throught the night but try to distract her as long as you can before she is supposed to be fed to go to bed and then right before bed maybe she will eat more and then sleep longer. also if she sleeps in her own bed that will help.
    mommycs

Answer by mommycs at 4:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I'm a schedule advocate, which some moms are not and SWEAR it has nothing to do w/ their sleep schedule. I do not agree....but does she sleep in her own bed yet or is she still in your room/bassinet?
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 4:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• they will sleep longer when they start eating cereal.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 4:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i was extremely blessed with my son, he slept thru the night and only woke up once at 4 weeks old and has since... what i did on those very few nights that he would wake up, was let him cry it out some, it will help them self soothe.. but at 3 months if they are crying for more than about 10 minutes go in and check diaper or feed.. but give them time to cry themselves to sleep some... also if they have a favorite blankie or toy let them sleep with it until they get on schedule for you.. (also remember the later they stay up, the later they sleep in too... he's in bed at 10:30-11:00pm until 10:00am :0)
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 5:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my daughter turns 3 months tomorrow! she has been sleeping through the night for 6 weeks now. Every baby is different, so you have to alwasy remember that. With my daughter we have a nightly routine; you can get some ideas from it. We give her a bath at night with bedtime bath(not during day bc it relaxes her), then we put on her pj's, chill and read or something, put on johnson's bedtime lotion, give her bottle (fullest one of the day), and lay her down when she is done with it and has burped. SHe lays in bed and watches her Vtech nature and soothe sounds projector thingy until she falls asleep and she sleep until anywhere between 5:30-9:00am.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 6:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• You can't. As she gets older, she will sleep better. Most babies don't sleep 5 hours or more in a row until 5 or 6 months. Most don't sleep 8 hours until 8 or 9 months, and don't sleep from bedtime to morning until over a year.

A few lucky moms had babies who slept all night from an early age - those moms are just lucky, they didn't do anything to cause it.

Some will tell you to give her cereal. She's too young for that and it's an old-wives-tale anyway. She'll start sleeping longer about the time she starts getting cereal (5 or 6 months) but it is a coincidence. One does NOT cause the other and giving her cereal too soon can harm her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I like to give my 4 month old a nice bath and rubdown before bed. Then I nurse her for alil bit til she's content and then she goes in her crib and I don't see her til morning. Sometimes she will be a pest and get me up at like 5 but most the time she sleeps til about 7:30-8.
    Karabeara78

Answer by Karabeara78 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2008