When should you cut your baby's hair?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 2:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was 11 months, I cut just the sides because he had no hair on top, he looked like a little old man, so I had the side trimmed to even him out haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I wait till my babies are 1 to cut their hair, even though its shaggy. But it's up to you and when you feel comfortable with it.
    begamom

Answer by begamom at 2:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There is an old wives tale that says you are supposed to wait until after the first birthday, but that's silly. My son was born with the longest, darkest, straightest hair...he looked ridiculous! Lol, I mean, I get when they are born with gorgeous golden curls that its hard to decide to cut them off, but I couldn't stand my son's hair....he got his first official cut at the barber at 2 months old and instantly became the most handsome boy I'd ever seen =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• well my oldest is 2yrs and 3 months and she has only gotten her bangs trimmed, my 2nd is 1yr 1month and hasnt had a cut and my son is 3 weeks and oviously hasnt had a cut.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I waited until my son was 14 months. I always fixed it and parted it, even at the hospital after he was born. I only got the front trimmed the first time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I know Indonesians who practice shaving the head on girls a few times after they're born to get it to grow in thick. The Turkish lady who lives near me just stopped this same practice on her soon-to-be 4 year old and is letting her hair grow in now.

Personally, I didn't cut my daughter's hair until she was around 18 months. She was born with black hair and it grew out blonde. I cut it because it was getting in her face and she couldn't see. I'd say it, like everything else baby-wise, is a touch-n-go matter. If it needs cut, you just know it. Unless there's some 'health matter' I'm unaware of that you 'omg, don't cut your kid's hair before !'?
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We didn't cut ours for a long time because it was so curly and I loved it! Once it started to get in his eyes we trimmed it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When it's hanging down in their eyes or just looks like it needs trimmed up a bit.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I only trim my sons bangs. first time he got a major hair cut was this summer (he's 2.5 years old) because it was so hot.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My just over 2 year old, got her first hair cut on Saturday. It needed to be evened out and trimmed so she could see.
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 3:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010