Not wanting to nurse?

My almost 6 month old sometimes after only 5 min at the breast, arches his back and cries and rejects eating anymore...why? Will this affect my milk supply? I generally try to feed him every 3 hours during the day.

jennalynne904

Asked by jennalynne904 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might be saying he is not hungry. I not sure because I always feed on command not so many hours.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• – collapse
    he's 6 months...he doesn't need to be nursed anymore. give him some purreed fruits or veggies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• He may be not hungry anymore, which is okay. If this is sporadic, it may effect your milk supply since your breast milk is sort of like "Supply and Demand" which means you will produce as much as your baby needs. I would just keep eating healthy and drinking lots of fluids to keep your supply abundant and feed when he shows signs that he's hungry.
    SweetSmeek

Answer by SweetSmeek at 3:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ANON: I guess if he was bottle fed it would be ok to stop that too? Dumbass. And just because she nurses doesn't mean a baby never ever has solids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Lack of demand is what will affect milk supply. Have you started him on solids? (I'm not saying to start him on solids - that is up to you, but he's 'at the age' it's typically accepted to start doing it.) I know once I started introducing foods to my daughter, I had to fight to even get her to nurse in the mornings up to 12 months. She lost all interest from that point on. I never even had to try to ween her, she weened herself.

Also, make sure it's not something like teething which might be causing him pain. (My daughter's 2 lower, middle incisors came in around 6.5-7 months) If it is teething, just keep offering it to him and let him nurse for as long as he can handle and give him breaks.

Good luck! And great job keeping up with nursing!
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He might be teething. My kids all got their first teeth--the bottom front--at around 6 months of age. Keep nursing and be on the look out for his first teeth.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My two though have already been mentioned, teething and supply drop from starting solids... I would take him in for a quick weight check to make sure he isn't just getting frustrated that he isn't getting anything. If that is the case there are things you can do to help your supply. Good Luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He may just be telling you he's full, my 6 month old does the same thing. I can't believe someone said to stop nursing altogether, LOL. He still DEFINITELY needs milk, baby food doesn't do a whole lot anyway, it's more of a social thing (learning to eat) than getting nutrition.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• DD used to do this and it turned out she had acid reflux. Or it could be teething. I would watch the diapers to make sure there is enough poop/pee happening. If it persists, I would contact the pediatrician. You could also think about introducing solids soon if you haven't already. That might peak interest in eating more.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Start feeding on demand. Let him tell you when he's hungry. Other than that it could be many things. As PPS have said it could be teeth, try hylands teething tablets and a frozen washcloth. It could be reflux.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010