I'm expecting my first baby and...

What are you suppose to expect when your baby first gets home, its my first baby and I'm very excited, I want to make sure most everything is right.
Thanks :)

jennygrasonmama

Asked by jennygrasonmama at 3:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should expect your life to change 100%
    other than that I don't know what to tell you without a specific question
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Expect the baby to wake up several times a night to eat. Expect your life to change for the better. Expect to go through bottles (if your bottle feeding) and diapers like crazy. The first couple of days are a little crazy, but you and your baby will find a routine. =) Congrats!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Browse the baby aisle in a good book store. Relax as much as you can. Nap when the baby does, at first, to get your strength back. Don't stress out over cleaning, cooking, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Expect that you will want to sleep just as much as the baby does!

I was so very tired after I had my first child and I slept every time she did. Sleeping when baby does is a luxury you have with your first. Take advatnage of it!

Best wishes!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• when we got home, my son was asleep so we laid him in his crib and then my parents and sister arrived and everything was so overwhelming. I havent seen my family in years, my baby was only a few days old. But it was really weird lol. My thought was "wow ok....so this baby is ours? we have an addition to the family?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Lots of sleeping, lots of crying, lots of diaper changes and lots of overwhelming emotions. Strap yourself in for a crazy ride and enjoy every moment of it! Motherhood is the best blessing in the whole world.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• expect hardly any sleep,no time for a shower,no time to pee,no time for yourself for the first few months. you should expect to change a million diapers and for your newborn to wake up every couple of hours to eat. if you need help ask for it. you won't have time to clean or do much of anything for awhile. it's very overwhelming but worth every minute.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• your newborn wont have the concept of day and night so expect around the clock feedings, diaper changes and rocking! It wont last forever. I do kinda miss it. I recommend you or someone else make some meals for you and freeze them. I'm sure you've heard "sleep when the baby sleeps". It definately wasnt something I could do. If you dont think you can nap, at least lay on the couch and read or watch some tv, eat a snack or meal...enjoy that me-time. Dont feel like you have to be a prisoner in your home! First time I felt safe to leave, my son was 3 weeks old and we went for a stroll in the park, beautiful early spring day. I really needed that fresh air lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Just to let u know your baby will wake up during the night.. expect not to get much sleep.. but other then that u should be fine..
    godsgirl26

Answer by godsgirl26 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It is the best thing that wil ever happen to you! I have a 5 month old and its our first. Yes it is hard work but when its your own child it is so rewarding!!! The lack of sleep for the first few months wasnt as hard to adjust to as I thought it would be. It is just so amazing to wake up every day and be a mom. Enjoy every day because it flies by soooo fast. I miss being pregnant too, I wish I would have taken more pregnany belly shots!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010