Why do hospitals warn you...

Of your risk when having a c-sec but not a vag birth? Yeah you risk infection of the incision in a c-sec, but what about you epesiotomy. You risk your baby not getting all the stuff out of his lungs and having breathing problems at first with a c-sec, but you risk a dislocated shoulder in a vag birth. You risk a hemorrhage with either one. I mean you don't go in for a vaginal birth and them say well, you need to sign this waiver because we might break your kids shoulder or we might screw up your stitches on your vagina... You know you never hear the natural child birth risk. Of course risk are different with a c-sec. It's surgery. It comes with all your normal routine surgical risk. But they act like a vaginal birth is risk free.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was warned. My obgyn was very informative
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• why would you have to sign a consent form to have a baby the way nature intended?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You do realize that you're probably freaking out all the first-time-moms who are pregnant right now, right?

They have to warn you of the risks for a C-section because it's a surgical procedure.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Apparently not all doctors are the same as the ones I've had. At my OB and Hospital they give you a mile long risk list. They go over everything with you, just so you're not left in the dark. Every hospital is different, and apparently some don't care about letting their patients know the risks and things that go wrong.

Ontop of the a C-Section is a lot more invasive and a lot more dangerous then a vaginal birth. When it comes to actual surgery they have a protical to follow that they don't neccisarily have to follow with vaginal birth. Plus, Vaginal birth is a lot less dangerous if the proper steps are taking to prevent emergency. With Petocin vaginal birth has become a lot more dangerous and they do warn you about the risks if you recieve it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was warned on both of me vaginal deliveries the risk and things that could happen.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A vaginal birth carries LESS risks than a c section does. Vaginal births are the way nature intended like the previous poster said. During a vaginal birth, there is time to explain things if a situation occurs. A c section is a major surgery.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• they did warn me of a lot of those things. but i didnt have to sign anything.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Because vaginal birth and how the baby is in the birth canal is up to your body and family history, a c- section is on them because they are the ones who cut you open and they have to legally protect themselves, the way your vagina behaves is not their fault
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Because the risks from a c-section are much, much higher than the risks with a vaginal birth. Episiotomies are not a necessary or even recommended part of vaginal birth anymore, and the risks of hemorrhage with a vaginal birth are much less than with a c-section because the uterus is not being cut open. Dislocated shoulders are not very common either and can happen just as equally with a c-section or a vaginal birth--the baby gets pulled out of the c-section incision very roughly and it's at least as rough on the baby's body as a vaginal birth. (And yes I've had a c-section and it wasn't pretty!! I'm having a VBAC with this baby)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• who said a vaginal birth was risk free?

I think it is the OB's fault really. How can they tell you anything in a 5 minute pee and weigh appointment?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010