Should I ask about a c-section?

they broke my Daughters arm when they passed her through my pelvis she was so big (9 pounds even) 3 years ago and she had to have physical therapy for a months. She still doesn't and won't ever have full reach in her right arm. I am pregnant again and I think I want to just have a c-section...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think I'd discuss it as an option. You won't have the same kind of pregnancy, or labor with this child. Surely your doctor knows your history and will know if you are at risk for any thing like that again. Congratulations on your pregnancy and try not to stress out!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• it is within your right to ask for and have an elective c-section.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your DD. :(

Good news is, your second labor and delivery will probably not be like your first.
    Also the fact that your DD was 9+ pounds was not the only reason she has should dystocia. There were probably other factors involved such as her position, Your Position, any meds you might have had, the position you gave birth in, the skill of the attending care provider...

Please research your risks that are involved with a c-section as well as the risks that can happen to your future pregnancies after you have a c-section. Weigh them with your care provider and compare to a vaginal birth. Make the choice that is right for you.

Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can always discuss it with your doctor. But remember, every pregnancy is different. You may not experience that with this baby. Good luck!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would express my concerns with your doctor. That's very scary.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. It's a good question.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would bring it up for sure after that! Best of luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you have the same doctor this time? I don't think what happened the first time should have happened. My babies were all rather large and there were no such incidents. I would not ask for a c-section. The second birth almost always is much easier than the first, and the baby could be smaller, too. I think what happened to you first time could have been the fault of the doctor more than anything else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter got stuck half way out and turned blue so they had to yank her out so they could get her breathing again. She was blue for a good 2-3 min while I was pushing. Then someone pushed on my belly while someone else pulled on her and I pushed. It took her a few min to cry after that. I am so glad I didn't have a mirror. My mom was there and she had to look away it was so bad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They should be able to tell with an ultrasound if the baby is too big to fit through the birth canal.. I personally wouldn't want to withstand the pain of a c-section if it wasn't 100% necessary. But for sure have them check!
    Beanna4406

Answer by Beanna4406 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• IMO, if I were in your position I would discuss options with your doctor. I wish i had with my first because my 1st son was 10.5lbs. and I had him naturally and I am a petite woman and his shoulders got stuck and the nurses had to push pretty hard down on my stomach to help him get out. He was stuck too long because it caused a blood vessel to pop on his brain and he turned blue and was having seizures. He was in the NICU for two weeks. It was the biggest baby they ever had at the time in the NICU, this was 18 years ago. He has a seizure disorder and has missed out on a normal childhood because he isn't allowed to do any physical activities whatsoever. Our 2nd son was also born naturally and was 8.5lbs. with no health issues or problems during the birth which I am so grateful for. I am now pregnant with our 3rd and at 35 weeks now fearing the birth not knowing what i should do. My doctor and I are discussing my best options.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010