To spank or not to spank?

That is the question. Have you ever done it? Have you ever wanted to do it? Did you grow up being spanked?

jennalynne904

Asked by jennalynne904 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I grew up being spanked and i have spanked my children but i also do timeouts it just depends on the situation at the time.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was rarely spanked growing up.. I haven't every spanked my kids.. and I never will.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I grew up being spanked. My hubby did too. We ocassionally "spank", more like a soft hit, since it doesn't hurt a 2 yr old. More of a hey, I'm serious here, when nothing else has worked. Not that too much works LOL I use Time Out a lot, but when he is getting physically out of hand with his brother I do smack his thigh.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We were rarely spanked as kids. I spank my oldest once in a while.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I feel this issue is something that the parent decides what is best for their child, not another person.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No I did not grow up being spanked and I do not spank my children.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We have never spanked, hit, pushed, thrown, pinched, pulled, or jerked our children. No, we do not spank and I feel sorry for the children of parents who use this type of discipline.

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• How often a week does this topic come up?

Okay.. again.. spanking doesn't do much good other than to make the parent feel better. All it does for the kid is to be scared of you and be more sneaky about not getting caught.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We spank only in a safety issue type situation. unbuckling in the car, darting out into the street, climbing on the counter (after multiple warnings) Other wise we use timeout, quiet times and loss of privileges.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Have you ever done it? NO! Have you ever wanted to do it? YES! Did you grow up being spanked? NO! You can actually teach right & wrong without inflicting bodily pain. Whoa!!!! That's a thought!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010