welfare and drug tests.

you know how we hard workers get drug tested at work? i think that people who get public ass. should be drug tested to... why should i have to pay for drug addicts to sell food stamps and such for drugs? how do you feel about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

• I dont think shes questioning drug test at work just the fact why arent people on govt asst required to get drug test... i think its a great idea. But then again i think if your just lazy and on it you should get cut off to. People abuse this wonderful way to help people who need it and that shouldnt be allowed.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 1:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• let me add this is only for drug addicts abusing the system... not me being made for people who try and still cant seem to make it. i bet 1/2 of welfare would be cut off if we did this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Personally I don't think they should be able to drug test you for a job. It's a violation of your privacy. I think welfare would be the same way...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I must go thru a drug test every 3 months at work..plus random screens. At my job if the staff is altered the people we serve are compromised. I don't have a problem with that. Plus, if you are using illicit drugs you're breaking the law anyway. As for people on public assistance...I absolutely think they should be required to take one once a month. I didn't always feel that way. I have a niece that is on it and she smokes up, shoots up and god knows what else every chance she gets. You want government funds..you should be willing to test out every month.
    Anonymous

• Pre-employment drug screens and spot checks for drugs are there for a reason. Do you want a surgeon operating on your child who is under the influence of drugs? Do not be naive enough to think that drug use is just a problem with low paying jobs. How about a pilot, a school bus driver, a anesthesiologist, or any other hosts of jobs that require every ounce of clarity possible. The point is that those that use the welfare system because they would rather not participate in getting a job, paying taxes etc...need to be weeded out of the system. The welfare system should be for those that need a help up not a hand out. It should help those who need help with education or help to get out of an abusive or unhealthy situation not those want to sit and party all day.
    Anonymous

• I believe whole heartedly that anyone receiving any sort of gvt asst should be required to take random drug tests...as well as most if not all jobs.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think they should have to do random drug tests to!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• wow that would just create a whole new headache and nightmare -- drug tests would come up false positive.. people who really need it wouldn't get help... having worked in rehab i know there are false positives and lab mixups. what do you do with people who are on prescription medications?? a large percentage of people receiving benefits are on there because they are sick and on medication, disabled even. just more of a paperwork nightmare.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• They should do the hair strand test so that they can see. And as far as the ones selling the stamps they should give them only enough to feed their family and not extra. They should then get the kids checked out periodically to make sure that their properly nourished. I think it would create more jobs and that is a good thing.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• false positives are you serious! if they are on meds then they will have proof for why that came up dirty!
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008