Who said it ... and what are your thoughts?

"The commenest (sic) question is whether I really 'believe in the Devil.' Now if by 'the Devil' you mean a power opposite to God and like God, self-existent from all eternity, the answer is certainly no. There is no uncreated being except God. God has no opposite. No being could attain a "perfect badness" opposite to the perfect goodness of God ... The proper question is whether I believe in devils. I do. That is to say, I believe in angels and I believe that some of these, by the abuse of their free will, have become enemies to God and, as a corollary, to us. These we may call devils. They do not differ in nature from good angels, but their nature is depraved. Devil is the opposite of angel only as Bad Man is the opposite of Good Man. Satan, the leader or dictator of devils, is the opposite, not of God, but of Michael."

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I THINK it was C.S. Lewis but I'm not sure.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I remember reading this quote, but not the author. I agree wholeheartedly with what he says. He seems to take for granted that the person asking doesn't already know that Satan was an angel named Lucifer who made the decision to go against God. But maybe a lot of people don't know? But I definitely don't believe that Satan is the equivalent of God, just that he aspires to be.

Is that what you were asking? I'm not sure I answered the question you asked! =)

OH! I looked it up (read:cheated)! CS Lewis said it!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The Screwtape Letters. Wonderful book!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't believe in the devil. The scripture never names him as satan. One verse gives his angelic name of Lucifer, but I don't think that they mean to imply that satan and Lucifer are the same person. Jesus refers to one of his disciples using the name of "the adversary", saying "Get thee behind me satan." But this is the disciple Peter, I think, who becomes the head of the Roman catholic church, so either the catholic church is demonic, or Peter was forgiven (said to be impossible for a demon). Neither is he the other name used to describe the head demon, Beelzebub, which comes from a (surprise!) Babylonian deity. Like god, one must first determine WHO the devil actually is and what his status is in the bible. He seems, as described by so many christians, as equally powerful as god, since god cannot exercise control over him. So, it needs to be clarified before comment can be made.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I dont think you understand when people ask you if you believe in the devil. When people ask you this they are refering to satan. I have never herd of someone thinking that there were a bunch of little devils running around in the underworld. I have herd people talking about a bunch of deamons but not devil's.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't know who said it, but I thought angels didn't have free will. Hmm, not sure where I got that from, but that is what I thought, lol.

Chniamli

Answer by Chniamli at 3:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Shelii

Let me first reiterate that I didn't say this - part of the question is "who is the author."

Second, the author is saying that he believe in Satan's existence, just not as equally opposite of God. The author considers Satan the evil equivalent of Michael - the Archangel.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes MamaRae85 ... that is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you know what book Lewis stated it?
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, it looks like you may have your answer for who said it, I wouldn't know anyway, so I'll comment on my thoughts.

I personally think that makes total sense. I've been thinking for a while now that you know satan really isn't equally opposite to God. For one thing God creates and satan doesn't create but he has his evil version or copy of almost everything that God has created. As well as how he put it God is the only uncreated being and also only God can truely judge because He is the only one that is truely just. Hmmm...
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010