Why won't she eat?

My daughter is 4 months and has just recently started taking 6 oz. of formula at a feeding. She was going up to 6+ hrs between feedings, too, and it was great! Today, though, she hasn't been eatting like normal. She'll take anywhere from an ounce to 3 oz. making her wake up more frequently (as in every 20 mins to an hour) and it's driving me CRAZY! What's going on? Is this normal? Any advice on how to keep her sleeping longer? I was going to start giving her cereal now that she's taking a lot more at a feeding, but today kind of caught me off gaurd. Please tell me it's a phase....!

momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 12:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like she is going through a growth spurt. When babies are trying to grow, they tend to wake more frequently and eat more often. She needs to eat more often to get big and strong.

You said she started taking 6 oz a feeding recently...Did you just change from breastmilk, or have you just upped the formula intake.

Adding cereal to make your baby sleep is a bit of a myth. Remember the last time you ate until you were FULL? Chances are you were so uncomfortable that you couldn't sleep very well.

It could be that the 6 oz is too much at one time. Smaller oz bottles and more frequent feedings may be better for her. Formula is a bit harder to digest than breastmilk, so their little bodies have to work a bit harder between feedings.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• ALL BABIES ARE DIFFERENT. I HAVE A 3 MONTH OLD AND SHE NOW STARTED TO TAKE 4 ONZ OF FORMULA. EVERY 3 HOURS. SHE SEEMS OK NOW. BUT I UNDERSTAND YOU BEING WORRIED. YOUR BABY WILL BE FINE. IT HAPPENS, SOMETIMES MY LITTLE ONE DOESNT WANT TO EAT MUCH. AS LONG YOUR BABY IS DEVELOPING AND GAINING WEIGHT YOU AND THE BABY WILL BE OK. I HOPE I HELPED YOU A LITTLE BIT. GOOD LUCK>>>
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I too think it could be a growth spurt.
    Sophiasmom119

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008