• In the Spotlight:

My 10 month old won't sleep! And is now refusing to eat solids!!

Help! My 10 month old stopped sleeping through the night and is now refusing to eat solids! This all started when she cut her first tooh. She wakes up twice a night and the second time around, she stays up for a few hours and ends up falling asleep in an upright position. I'm concerned that something might be wrong? Does anyone have any tips on what I can do? We have a daily routine...I bath her, feed her, rock her for a bit and then she falls asleep...She'll sleep for about 3 hours and then wake up.She's not napping as much during the day at all...she's probably getting 6-7 hours of sleep ap day!HELP! What should I do??

rswanson

Asked by rswanson at 4:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well make sure you are giving her tyleno and orajel or teething tablets which ever suits her best and then try giving her less liquids and then she will get hungry. i tend to get off track with my 2 yr. old sometimes because he would much rather drink a cup then sit and eat and if i dont monitor his eating habits then he will drink to much and not want to eat. i hope this helps you. also everytime she wakes uptry rocking her and laying her backin her bed or try lettting her cry for a couple of minutes and see if she goes back to sleep
    mommycs

Answer by mommycs at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Im gonna say a growth spirt. If she's got no fever and doesn't appear to be ill in anyway, go w/ that. mine went through that too, and he's now 11 mo, but now his appetite is slowly diminishing, which I understand will come back....
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Well, it sounds like that she is just a teething baby. There are some natural teething tablets that you can give her. They dissolve under her tongue in about 5 seconds. You can get them at Walgreen's. I think the brand is Nature's Remedy (?) but not sure. I know the bottle is small and has tiny white tablets inside-and is sold over in the baby aisle. Also, there is a great remedy called Gripe Water. You can buy it usually at a health food store. If none of that works-I guess check with the doctor, and see if its okay to give her some Tylenol or Motrin. Good luck.
    boysmom67

Answer by boysmom67 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• how much sleep is she getting a night, and is she in routine??? And always has been til now!? If she's only getting 6-7 hours a night, but makes up for the rest in naps (which is about6-7 more hours) throughout the day, you should be good, but she's off track somehwere it seems like to me.
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 4:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i worked in day care for a while and we were told not to use to much orajel cause it makes thier gums tougher and that means harder to break through. you can actually rub tylenol on the gums.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 4:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• That's 100% normal for his age. I read this in EVERY DDC/group when the kiddos hit 10 months. It'll happen again around 12 months. If she's nursing, then remember that she doesn't NEED solids right now, they're just for exploration. Even if she's on formula, the solids aren't that important for another couple months. Don't worry, sounds perfectly normal!
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 5:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My 11 mo old is going through the same exact thing. His normally very healthy appetite has been cut in more than half! He usually has 2 2hr naps thru the day, but only had one today. Other days its 2 1hr naps. I think he might be getting ready to move to 1 longer nap. I also think he might be getting molars. I'm trying to make sure he stays hydrated and getting enough formula. It did put a halt to weaning him off the bottle. I'm going to try that again next week.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Hi All,
    Thanks for the input. I have used the natural teething tablets, orajel, and tylenol when I can tell she's truly in pain.
    I spoke with her DR today and they think we should use the ferber method, although I'm not too comfortable with that...have any of you done that before?
    My doctor said it's most likely a "habit" she's formed because she wakes up at the same time each night..
    she takes two naps and they are about 45- 1 hour each...
    rswanson

Answer by rswanson at 9:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2008