What can I do?

My son (3) is a wonderful little boy but today He has driven me crazy! I don't know what to do. He screamed the entire time we were at the grocery store. He jumped off the couch onto my baby's (1 yr) head. He peed all over my couch (very well potty trained for over 8 months now) he opened a new bottle of baby soap and dumped it all over the kitchen floor I had just finished mopping, and to top the cake he pooped in the bathtub! I don't know what to do with him anymore timeout obviously isn't working. I play with them almost all day but when I turn around for 2 minutes to put dinner in the oven he goes and does some stupid little stunt. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 3:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL I don't mean to laugh, but sometimes you just have to do that. My hubby is home for a few days now and our 1 and 2 yr old boys were being all wild. We just had to step back, laugh rather than yell, and think some day we will miss the craziness of these years. If he typically isn't like that I would wonder if he isn't feeling well. I hope he isn't starting a phase too, not to scare you LOL Good luck. Hey, at least he dind't poop on the floor or in a corner for you to discover it later!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Maybe he is very tired or getting sick?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would spank his little bare butt and put an end to this nonsense.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• sounds like he's tired or understimulated. i'd put him in his room and pay him no mind, then explain why, and if that doesn't fix it i'd do what nannyb said.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would give him extra love, not punish him. Obviously something is bothering him
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He's testing his limits and he wants to see how far he can go and how much of a reaction he can get out of you. you need to show him you're in charge, not by hitting or spanking but by being firm with your chosen punishment and sticking to it NO MATTER WHAT. If the 3min timeout doesn't work, next time make it 5min, take away toys, or special snacks or whatever he enjoys the most so that he can see there is a consequence to his action. but remember that when he IS behaving and doing what he's told he needs praise and love too, they go through so many phases at this age its hard to keep track of them all but just know that this too shall pass and you'll love your child even more when he's behaving :D
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Every kid has their days where it's just "WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU CHILD" days. lol.

It seems like he gets bored when you stop interacting with you, so he may be acting out of either boredom or to get your attention. Try to find an activity where he can do independently, to try to keep him occupied, while you take care of laundry or pull the roast out of the oven. It will keep him busy, and teach independence.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Kids this age are notoriously Jekyl and Hyde in their behavior. So, it may please you to know it is normal, but that probably doesn't help you cope. Having him help in cleaning up is one way to help him understand the consequences of dumping things out on the floor, etc.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• has he eaten anything with red dye #40 today???
    yellow 5, or blue 1 can do it too
    but red 40 is a biggie
    what did he eat and read the food labels

just a guess
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010