How much water should my 8 month old have?

The pediatrician told me 4-6 oz of juice and/or water a day, but I havent wanted to give him juice, Im wondering how much water does/did your 8 month old have? Its been hit lately can he have more water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 10.5 months now and he takes anywhere from 6-10 ounces of water a day. I've never actually measured it, I just let him have it when he wants it. There is such a thing as water intoxication, especially in babies. I dug up the info sheet we got from my sons Dr. about water... its says...Babies under 6 months should not receive more than six to eight ounces of water, juice, Jell-O water or electrolyte replacement solutions (Pedialyte or Gatorade) in addition to their daily formula/breastmilk intake. Infants ages 6 months to 1 year should be given no more than eight to 12 ounces of other fluids unless under a doctor’s supervision. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 11:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Your Baby Can HAve Water Just make sure that he doesnt miss any bottles and baby food....water isnt nessasary since its in the formula ....its up to you..... i give my daughter gatorade ( 1/2 water 1/2 gatorade)
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 11:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yes ,he should have some water..As much as he wants after milk and food. Do you have fluoride in your water, that's even better..I don't give my twins juice at all. If they eat fruit every day that's all they need for now.The less sugar on their little teeth the better.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I'm going to disagree with twotwinsmom about the flouride in the water. Our pediatrician said that's not good for little one's...could just be contradicting recommendations from two docs for all I know, you'd have to ask your own ped about that! Anyway, water is fine to give your child, but isn't necessary with formula and fruits. Juice can be overwhelming the first time they have it (or at least for my son it was) so dilute it quite a bit. You also don't want to give too much juice because it can be harmful to little teeth and cause them to develop sugar cravings.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was always told and even recently that babies got enough water from formula or breat milk, that there was no need to give them a plain bottle of water until age one.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008