7 week old baby--how to get the daddy to help more????

My hubby and I just had our first child in august. i only breast fed for awhile and now he's on formula. How do you get your hubby to pitch in more?? Around the house?? Also, when he gets home from work-10 hour days or better-my hubby doesn't seem to miss him..he might say hey buddy when i'm holding him, or if he's sitting in bouncer he just can walk by..i would go nuts missing him..why do men have such a diff way of showing there love..his brother his the same way, there son just turned one. is it just them or are most men like this????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Talk this over with him and ask for help. Have specific things you'd like help with so he understands exactly. Sometimes they really need it spelled out for them. Since he works long hours maybe he could help most on the weekends giving you some time to yourself or a break from a night feeding. Best wishes and congrats!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• he's probably exhausted from his 10 hour days and just wants to retreat to his mancave. i know it feels insulting when they don't pay much attention to the newborn but surely it's nothing against your little one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yea my husband was all pro baby when i was pregnant ill do this and that and woo who and yea lol not so much after he came but i found out as time went by he did better when the baby was older they seem to interact with them better when they can communicate better lol and i still mean small like 4 or 5 months and from there he does more ours is 3 now and he is involved when hes home i think newborns might be intimidating to some new dads
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My husband is the same way. I don't get it either. He has spurts where he wants to play with our two sons but most the time he doesn't seem to really care. He is now wanting to have another...WHY, YOU DON'T HARDLY HELP WITH THE OTHER TWO, LOL. He does love them though, he just doesn't show it in as affectionate of a way as me or thinks they don't need as much attention or something.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can ask, but if he chooses not to help, there's nothing you can do to make him. You might try by asking him to help you give the baby a bath. Let him hand you the towel, soap, or whatever you need. Then let him "help" you dress the baby. Most men don't know squat about taking care of a baby, but they are far too proud to tell you that. So help him have the opportunity to learn how to do that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010