Getting 13m dd to sleep in?

She used to sleep 8-8, and it was great. Then we moved, and now that she's sleeping in her own bed, she's only sleeping 8-5. Mommy is NOT a morning person. How can I get her to sleep in a bit longer?

We are trying to put her down a little later right now, last night was the first night, and she still woke up early. I know it might take time, but I need other ideas if this doesn't work!

Doximama

Asked by Doximama at 11:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They go thru spells... If anything upsets their routine, it will take them a while to readjust. I understand where you are coming from, but they aren't always going to sleep thru the night... Like I said on another post, I am 44 and still don't sleep thru the night!! LOL! Just be patient.. don't turn on any lights, or TV, she will the hang of it again!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I saw a really cool gadget advertised in Parents Magazine. You set the kid's bedtime and desired wake up time (within reason - I don't think you'll convince her to sleep 'til noon, no matter how cool that would be! lol) and when she needs to be in bed the timer has a moon-face and when she should get up it turns to a sunshine face. It might work to give her a visual cue as to when she should be sleeping and when she should wake up (NOT at 5am!!!).

Btw, I'm totally with you. NOT a morning person. lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Putting her down later does NOT work. It will actually make her sleep less soundly and wake up earlier. This is an old wives tale that seems logical on the surface but has no basis in fact. In fact, the more tired she gets, the more adrenaline flooding her system. Could you go to sleep and sleep well right after a car accident or a ride on a super scary roller coaster? That's what you are asking an overtired toddler to do.

She is young so this will take a little longer for her to learn but put a light in her room on a timer. It comes on in the morning, it goes off at bedtime. To start with, have the light come on at the time she is waking up now. Make a point of saying something like "The light came on, it must be time to get up!" After a few days, change the timer by 15 mintues. Keep at it until her wake up time is shifted. I use a fish tank light and my toddler knows I will not come to get her until "fishy morning".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Also, keep her room pitch dark. If there are any noises that might be waking her, consider running some white noise in her room to mask it - a portable fan, lullaby music, ocean noises on a CD, etc. And keep in mind that Daylight Savings time changes in a week and a half. That will mess things up even more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• WELL MA DAUGHTER WAS THE SAME WAY.. ALL U HAVE TO DO IS IF U HAVE TIME TAKE HER OUT MAYBE TO THE PARK OR PLACES WHERE SHE WILL HAVE FUN PLAY AND GET TIRED.. AND DO NOT DO AFTERNOON NAPS BECAUSE THOSE R WAT CAN CAUSE HER NOT TO SLEEP AS MUCH AT NIGHT.
    hz_babymama

Answer by hz_babymama at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• they still wake up early AND they have an attitude from lack of sleep SO instead redirect her back to bed -
    i show my dd the window and tell her that the sun is still sleeping and that until the sun gets up noone else does. then i put her into bed ( sometimes with two stuffed animals - encouraging her to either sleep or play by herself)
    my DH and I have a baby gate in the doorway of my DD's room so she can open the door but not roam through the house and get hurt...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• also removing naps probably not a good idea
    vakatia