Baby Water Baptism Vs. Dedication

Both my boys were baptised as infants, but since i've had my daughter we have been going to a Assembly of God church who does only Dedications. My mom who is Catholic doesn't know what that is and wishes that we have a water baptism/Christening for her. My Aunt who is Pentacostal said that she won't come to the water baptism only to the dedication if we get her dedicated at Assembly of God. Can i do both? I do want a water baptism, so i found a little methodist church . But then afterwards i figure i can get all the kids dedicated.
Thanks!
Karen

scrapn2do

Asked by scrapn2do at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are planning to have the baptism at the Methodist Church then ask the pastor there....

From a Catholic point of view (if the child was baptized in a Catholic Church) the answer is NO. That's from a Catholic point of view, but I can't answer for what other believe. If you are thinking of using the Methodist Church for the baptism then ask the pastor there....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• do you think your daughter is full of sin and needs baptism. if not don't baptism is for the washing away of sin. A dedication is nice but unless you are truely saying we are dedicating our selves to raising this child in a godlike manner then you should not. these are religous choices not just something you do because it is tradition or someone else thinks you should or should not. you need to go with your convictions on this.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• All children will go to Heaven, reguardless if they've been baptised or not. That's my take on it. My kids are welcome to be baptised when they learn the meaning and decide it's what they want to do :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I see no reason why you can't do both. The big difference between christening and dedication is that some believe that christening takes away the original sin and that in dedicating your doing just that, dedicating your child to God.

Just pray about it and read the Bible... Do what you feel is the right thing to do. Just remember, you can't make everyone happy.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 2:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The Rite of Baptism that a Catholic Priest will read from is also the same book he will read from when doing an Exorcism. So unless you feel the need to exorcise the devil from your child I would say fuck the Catholics, and do a nice dedication and tell your Aunt to go to confession again and try to figure out her own soul before she goes messing around with your child. Organized Religion sucks. Lift a rock and you will find him, turn a leaf and he will be there. You need not enter a building to show God what a beautiful creature you have made, he already knows.
    Anonymous

• It depends on your belief on baptism. Do what you believe and dont listen to anyone else.
    Anonymous

• my hubs is catholic. im not. we do baby dedications. from my understanding, catholic infant baptisim is saying that you are dedicating your child to the teaching of the catholic church. that the godparents are going to help nurture and instill the RCC teachings into your child.
    baby dedication is simply saying you are dedicating your child to God and to bring the child up with biblical teachings. so it is similar to infant baptisim, but with that your making more of an allegience to the RCC. so it depends on your belief. will the child be brought up catholic? if so, infant baptisim. if not, or your not sure, baby dedication. but i agree, only do it if you mean it. either way its like making a "profession of faith". it depends on what faith you want to profess.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The OP mention that her mother is Catholic, but she looking at doing the baptism at a Methodist Church. Again, OP, just go talk to the pastor at the Methodist Church that you are thinking of and see what pastor there at the Methodist Church has to say. The pastor at the church you are thinking of will be able to help you better then anyone here...because the pastor will explain the Methodist belief re: baptism and if a dedication would be possible... (In my opinion, it will be depending on what the Methodist beliefs are seeing that is where you are going to have your DD baptized).

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Thanks for all of your opinions, After talking to my mom today she told me that it doesn't really matter where i get her baptised, because it's up to us as parents to follow thru to how we want to teach her about God, as it be Assembly of God, Catholic, Methodist. We are not big church goers, Honestly we picked Methodist becasue we were married in a methodist church and my two other kids were baptised methodist.. We had a hard time getting 'approved' in a catholic church for a wedding because of my dh being married ( its such a business)
    anyway, As Sarah gets older then she can make that choice, but i am making that choice of getting her baptised now. If she as an adult ,she can get baptised again if she pleases. I will probably end up getting all three kids dedicated at our Assembly of God church .
    scrapn2do

Answer by scrapn2do at 4:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I've always looked at baptism as a choice of the individual, and of course, a baby is too small to make that decision for himself. However, I don't judge those who do this. I've always looked at dedication as giving the child back to the Lord for Him to take care of, and there's nothing wrong with that. I guess it all boils down to what you believe...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008