Educational activities for 3 year old

My son is almost 3, and he's still not really talking a lot, but he knows his ABC's and his numbers up to 10 (can recite them and recognize them) and various colors and animals and a couple of shapes, but I wonder if I actually did more with him if he would talk more (although I want to be able to teach him more regardless, the talking thing is just something I'm starting to worry about), so I'm wondering if there are any kind of activities or learning games, etc, that anyone would recommend?

I'd love to be able to put together a schedule that includes fun (but educational) things to do with him and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. What kinds of things does/did your child do at his age? I can't get out, so anything I do have to be able to do from home... I'd love to start "homeschooling" him - kind of like have my own pre-k schedule for him at home. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like he is on track with learning...find a dollar tree, they have tons of flash cards and preschool type workbooks. I think socialization with other kids his age might be the best thing to get him out of his shell and start talking more. Even if you can't get out maybe you can have a friend with a child the same age come over for play dates.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I love the Leap Frog games. I don't know if they are pricey because my daughter's were hand-me-downs but they have helped her a great deal. We have the Word Whammer that goes on the fridge and makes three letter words and also helps the kids with the sound of the letters they put in there. We also have the Letter Factory Game and my daughter has learned her letters and the sound they make. She really loves them plus it gives us time as a family to sit down and play. My hubs and I pretend we can't figure out what letter they are looking for and our daughter loves trying to help us.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'd recommend exposure to other children. My son wasn't talking at 2, but as soon as he was around other kids (playground, playgroups, etc.) he started talking in three and four word sentences. Now @ 3 he talks up a storm. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• talk to him all the time. ask him questions, tell him stories, read books, and dictate stuff that you and he does. He will start to pick it up. I also agree with socializing him. The more exposure to children his own age the more he will mimic them
    Danielle D.

Answer by Danielle D. at 6:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• READ....
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• http://www.nickjr.com/

I was going through this site and they ahve a lot of activities to help..

http://www.nickjr.com/dora-the-explorer/beyond-the-backpack/

and this one too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• www.pbskids.org
    www.nickjr.com
    www.mickeymouseclubhouse.com

Leapfrog and V-tech toys are great for spelling & reading. My son is 3 and has memorized the spelling of many words. Ant, ball, cat, hat, dog, log, eye, elephant, owl, cow, flag, doll, etc. He's just so used to the repitition, he's remembered a lot of words. It amazes me every day.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When you say he's not talking a lot is it that he's simply a quiet kid or that he lacks the spoken vocabulary? Have you had him evaluted for early intervention? If it's a matter of ability, not personality, perhaps he'd benefit from speech therapy.

Anything you do can be educational. try story time at the library - it'll give him other kids his age to interact with. Read at home and ask questions. Sing silly songs together. go for walks and collect items. Ask him to tell you what he's collecting, why he likes it, and how we can organize it (ie. Let's say it's colored leaves. Then we can sort by: big, little, brown, orange, red, yellow, long, short, wide, thin, etc.) Make up stories. You give him on-line, ask him to come up with the next. Play hide and seek. Count loud enough for him to hear you. It helps him learn his numbers. Build a rocket ship out of a big box, help him count down to lift off. :) Have FUN while learning
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my kids love the leapster jr it si great fun and teaching ad. also the dollar tree has all kinds of learning stuff lik e the other preson said
    coreyhsmom

Answer by coreyhsmom at 11:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• "When you say he's not talking a lot is it that he's simply a quiet kid or that he lacks the spoken vocabulary?"

He *can* speak - he even says full sentences like "Daddy where are you?" and "What's that?" and he can say all of his ABC's minus L, and can count out loud to ten, name several animals (and their sounds) and colors, as well as say "boo-boo, see? kiss?". Every time we take him to a checkup the doctor says he's okay with his speech. He asks for juice or food, loves naming body parts. So he *can* talk, he's just quiet - which is understandable, since I'm on the quiet side and its just me and him all the time - not that I don't try to talk to him or read to him. I've heard him say plenty that he doesn't say often. So its really more that he's quiet - he's the kind that you can tell is thinking, but doesn't really want to talk much....

Thanks everyone, btw!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010