Freebirth

I caught a Freebirth documentary on Discovery Health the other day, and was amazed and shocked that ladies do this! Did anyone else see this documentary, or is anyone planning a freebirth?

I plan on giving birth in a hospital, without medication if possible.

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 11:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I didn't see it, I don't have Cable.

Is free birth all natural? Then that's me. I had mine at home with a midwife. No medication, intervention, or any medical procedures. No assistance from medical personal, my midwife was there in case something went from.

I'll be doing it again in 5 months
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I watched it as well, One woman tied her baby's cord off with a shoe lace, and cut it with normal scissors,that you have in the bathroom, I would never, ever!! Do this type of thing without a midwife or Douala, around... I know women are capable of doing such , * giving birth without help* But alas, you never know what will go wrong, with you or the child , and i would strongly disagree to this fully if they can help it, then call someone in or go to the er, now,...that woman whos placenta didnt come out ran to the hospital, why?? why didnt she just go for her child instead? i think she is a selffish woman and needed to stay home and tough it out, like she wanted and claimed she was going to do,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• and plus that womans face freaked me the hell out,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• According to this documentary, freebirth is without assistance from medical professionals or midwife. Essentially, it's the mom-to-be and a kiddie pool of water. Most of the ladies on the documentary had medical tools handy, and went through neonatal resuscitation training. The dad-to-be was also there. I just had no idea there were ladies out there who did that!

Kudos to charisma10 for doing it all natural!!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Re LexsiesMommy: I agree with you on the lady who ended up in the ER. She seemed pretty naive about the who situation, and she claimed the medical staff were apprehensive with her but she seemed pretty defensive and full of attitude herself.

The first lady they showed seemed like she did everything correctly, and fully knew what to expect.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Indeed!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I did it natural, in the hospital though. I had a very detailed birth plan, and family there to support my wants. But I wanted the security of knowing if something truely went wrong, me and my baby would be in the place to receive help. And I am glad we were because after the birth, my blood pressure dropped and I cannot remember anything in the first 24 hours of her life. But I remember waking to my husband and the nurse holding my daughter on my chest to nurse and waking to my daughter in the bassinet beside me. And seeing her skin to skin with my husband because her body temp was low and mine was too, so I couldnt give her my body heat
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't see the point of the freebirth. Even if they're trying to do it as natural as possible, that isn't the way. Before people had access to hospitals, the women had midwives around. You only did it completely alone if you had to. That is obviously a bad idea. Wouldn't they feel horrible if something went wrong? It's not like you're in the best state to deal with an emergency.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 3:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I'm going to try to look for the show on the internet, because now i'm interested in seeing it. But I agree with the above poster, in the sense that someone should be there. Midwives have experience in delivering babies, something that someone in labor can not match up with.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i agree with crystalhuskey, n charisma10.
    i also had both of my kids natural, but at a hospital. U never know what's going to go wrong!
    Aneq

Answer by Aneq at 8:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2008