Gun Control??

Are you for or against gun control and why or why not?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It is absolutely ridiculous the kind of guns that are made and sold in todays market but that is the age we live in and that is the kindof technology that is here, I just feel like the gun traffickers and the regulations need to be changed and dealt with. You are always going to have criminals that have guns and you shouldn't take away a law abiding citizens right to own one and protect oneself. Just like you are always going to have horrible tragedies that are involved with gun ownership.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• depends on what you mean. I would like everyone who buys a gun to have to have a gun safety class. too many buy without knowing a thing about guns. beyond that no.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think that there are certain guns that an Average Joe shouldn't be allowed to have (such as an AK-47), and there needs to be laws concerning who can have one (people who have a history of violence, drug abuse, mental disorder, etc). And they need to be registered. Beyond that....??
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Against.
    Many studies have shown that when gun ownership goes UP, crime goes DOWN. Yes, there are many studies showing the opposite. You know what one of the biggest difference in these studies is - do they include the raw data or not. It is very easy to work the numbers so you can draw whatever conclusion you want. If you include the raw data, then other people can see just how you fudged things. The studies showing that crime goes down include the data and anyone can see how the data was or was not manipulated. The studies showing that crime goes up or that guns are dangerous for the homeowner do NOT include the raw data. With a lot of digging, other researchers can make some educated guesses as to what data was used and how it was fudged... and it's always fudged to make a point. Good research is reproducible, the data is open, and the conclusion is drawn from the data - the data is not forced to fit the conclusion.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Examples of bad "research":
    You may have heard that having a gun in your home increases the chance of someone in your home being shot. Guess what... If a burglar brings a gun into your home and shoots you - the researchers included it as a "gun in your home". And if YOU shot the burglar - the researchers included it as "someone in your home was shot".
    You may have also heard that guns are the number one cause of injury in kids. The implication is that if you own a gun, your child will find it, play with it, and get hurt.
    Not so. Take a look at the CDC's website. Guns don't even make the top ten. Even if you include "kids" up to age 25 and "kids" shot while committing crimes or killed by rival gangs, guns still don't top the list.

As I said before, if guns increase crime, why does the data have to be faked and fudged to make it say so? Have you heard of the theory of the "big lie"? This is an example.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Very well put kaycee14!
    sukinova

Answer by sukinova at 12:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• no gun contol
    Anonymous

• I am for gun control. I have a gun. I WILL NOT allow someone to come into my house and violate me, my child, or my belongings. However, I think restrictions and regulations on who and when someone owns a gun are important and there needs to be improvements made, however it is hard to do that without crossing the line, so I think for a long time, gun controls will stay where they are.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think before you purchase a gun, you should take a gun safety class as well as learn how to fire your weapon. Just like you have to learn to drive before you get you license. And I beleive things like a gun locks or lock boxes should be mandatory with the purchase of a gun.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it's not really clear what you mean when you say gun control.
    i could care less if people have a gun in their home but i want to make it tougher for criminals and for people who would commit criminal acts to get guns. this includes guns they would acquire legally or otherwise.
    i'm not a fan of semi-automatic weapons and i don't understand why people feel the need to have a gun like that but it's their right to have them regardless of what i think.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2008