My 14 month old won't drink milk!

He has been breastfed since birth...still is about twice a day for only a few minutes before nap and bedtime. He drinks water out of a sippy cup but refuses to drink anything else but water. No juice, no whole milk, skim milk, warm or cold...you name it, he won't drink it out of his cup unless its water! I'm starting to dry up and have no idea how much milk he is even getting when he nurses...I'm positive its not enough though. I try and feed him yogurt, cheese, other calcium rich foods as much as I can but he needs to drink milk! What else can I do? And just so were clear, I am not interested in continuing to breast feed him any longer. I am only continuing at this point so that he is consuming SOME sort of milk.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't actually NEED milk; if he eats a healthy and varied diet except for the milk he is fine, milk is just an easy way for him to get nutrients that a picky child might not get. If children NEEDED milk, mine would be having serious health problems right about now- she's allergic to dairy proteins. I adjusted her diet and our shopping list to get her the nutrients/foods she needs. She's fine, and he is too, especially if he will eat cheese, yogurt, etc. This site: http://www.mypyramid.gov/preschoolers/Plan/index.html : has an interactive thing that you can use to get the recommended amounts for your child of each food group- he doesn't even need that much dairy to get the nutrition from it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He does not NEED milk. He can get all the vitamins from other foods.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• try adding chocolate or strawberry to the milk..my 2 lil ones were like that..doc told me to add it..now they both drink it..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 5:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010