First time mom here, needing advice. Please, lol!

My son turned 1 this past week, and I want to wean him from his bottle, but I honestly have no idea where to start, lol. His doctor said she wants him to stop having bottles at one. I'm not going to stop immediately, but I'd like to get some hints for the near future. He'll drink out of a sippy cup, but only tiny sips, and he gets to where he wants a bottle ASAP sometimes, lol. However, he pretty much only gets a bottle at night, before bed and in the morning. He will NOT go to sleep without having one before I put him in his crib. I've tried a few times and he screams and cries, and I've given in. Once, my husband insisted we try to let him CIO, and he fell asleep after crying for 10 minutes, with us checking on him in between, but it killed me to let him cry like that. I was crying myself! I know some people insist that you have to let them CIO, but I hate it. What do I do? Help me, lol!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would get him the sippy cups that are the most like a bottle, they make ones w very soft rubber tips, we started this at 5 months and our son weaned from the bottle at 10 which made me sad bc i thought it was too son lol if you have to give him a bottle at night thats up to you i dont see a problem with it the only thing would be his teeth and the milk sitting on them...when we weaned the bink he got it at bedtime for a week no other time, eventually your son will drink from a cup bc hell have to :)
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• you're doing things right-CIO is the best thing I can think of, that's what we did. Eventually, no more bottle- took about a week.

doctors say it takes about a week to get them off a habit. I don't know if that's right or not, but it seems right.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would start by using the soft top sippy cups. You can find them pretty much anywhere. The softness reminds them of the bottle. Also, If you hold your child in the morning and at night when he drinks from a bottle, continue doing that. You could also try a reward system, with stickers or something that your child really enjoys. Or even have your child pick out a cup at the store, or if you already have one, have him decorate it. This gives them the sense that it is THEIR cup. Give lots or praise and attention when they do drink from the sippy cup. I hope some of this has helped. You can also do some good research VIA the internet. Parenting.com has a lot of useful information. GL!
    married2thenavy

Answer by married2thenavy at 6:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• For some reason, he gave up his pacifier about a month ago, on his own. I'd hand it to him and he's throw it at me, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i think one is to young to let go of the bottle ,give him other year by then hopeful he will let it go ,doc not always right it is okay to give in
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• try the soft bottle type sippy cups. Let him cry it out. It sucks at first, but really if you give in, he will Never give it up. One is kinda early. but it all works out in the end. Just be consistent, despite how easy it is to do it the other way. good luck
    Danielle D.

Answer by Danielle D. at 6:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Give him a soft nipple sippy with whole milk in bed. Yhats how I weened my 3 boys.
    Alice T.

Answer by Alice T. at 10:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010