Potty training advice?

My daughter is 14 months.. and I want to start at least getting her introduced to the idea of potty training.. does anybody have any tips or advice?

And yes, I realize 14 months is early.. but I figure there's no harm in at least starting her out and getting her familiar with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't hurt to try. I did the same when my daughter was 15 months. (because i was pregnant and didn't want 2 in diapers) I bought a potty, told her about it, read books about it. I asked her if she wanted to sit on it, if she did, we let her. she showed interest in it at first and even went a couple of times. It was a nice experience. She then grew bored with it around 17 months. She was fully potty trained before 2 and a half. I think introducing it early helped. Go for it!
    Danielle D.

Answer by Danielle D. at 6:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• while I think it is too early, there are some subtle ways you could at least introduce the idea. Take her in the bathroom with you when you go, tell her what you are doing, buy some books about using the potty. But never force the issue. I read a study not too long ago that most kids are not emotionally mature enough to understand the concept & be ready until around 2.5. Anyway, good luck!
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I started training my son around 18 months. It took a few months for the whole process. I think you should start by letting her go in with you. Maybe tell her why you are there and what you are doing. I think Elmo has a potty training DVD if she likes Elmo and there are a few books you could get to read to her. I don't think it would be bad to at least buy a potty chair to show her and maybe she if she just wants to sit on it even if it is with her diaper on until she gets more comfortable. Eventually, you could start trying without the diaper on. Good luck.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010