How much pocket money is enough? Should they be earning every penny of it?

My son is 9 and his allowence is $10/week but he buys his lunch at school.

Whenever he does chores, he earns more.

Is $10 too much/too little for his age?

How much do you think is a good amount for each age group?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't believe in allowance either. I don't think I should pay my kids to keep their room clean or help out around the house. If they want money they need to earn it by doing something that is no expected of them. Take the time to collect the recycling and turn it in and then they can have the money. Raking leaves for neighbors or shoveling snow in the winter. I also find it strange that you make him buy his own lunch...he's only 9!
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter earns every penny of her allowance. She's 5, her lunces at school are included in the monthly fees and she doesn't need it anyway, but she does get money when she complites some chores. She saves it though, and I like that. When she wants to buy something, she asks me to assign more chores to her so she can save up.

She's 5 and she bought a 180-dollar dollhouse 2 months ago with money she earned.

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 6:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My oldest is 10 and doesn't get an allowance or "pocket money".  She still has to do her chores.  She gets lunch for free at school.  I didn't get an allowance or money as a kid until I was in high school.  Th eonly time I had money was at my birthday and I usually spent that on Christmas presents for my family because I refused to ask my parents for more money.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i don't believe in allowance. do i get paid to come home and clean? no. so why should i pay them for something they need to learn to do. as for earning money or "pocket money" i say grab a rake and rake the leaves. pick up neighbors yards. recycle the cans from soda?
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 9:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010