How many mom on here are Vegetarian or Vegan?

and do you raise your family that way?

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 6:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm a vegetarian, but hubby is a carnivore to the core. The kids are largely vegetarian due to my cooking, but if we eat out somewhere they will eat meat. No pork or shellfish, though. I am tempted to go vegan, but am not ready for the jump yet.
    mictamali

Answer by mictamali at 8:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Veggie, and yes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i started but couldnt give up chicken, fish and turkey but we dont eat beef or pork and we eat plenty veggies now. How did you start?
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i don't raise my family vegetarian. my dh won't give up meat. but my ds eats tons of vegetables and fruits and grains. i was a vegetarian until my dh and i got together. and it's a process. try the fake "meats" or season something so it tastes like the real thing. never got the hang of tofu though. start eating meals where you really don't need meat. spaghetti, stir fry's, egg dishes. you'll learn to find new ways to prepare foods. the internet is such a good resource for this.
    Hollea

Comment by Hollea (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• forgot to mentioin a few friends and i are going vegetarian all next month. it might be a permenant change for me again.
    Hollea

Comment by Hollea (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have been a vegetarian since I was a kid. My 2 children are mostly vegetarian, but they do sometimes eat meat at school or at a friends house. They are getting to the age where I feel they can make the choice for themselves, but until then, I will continue to serve them a primarily vegetarian diet.
    Husband is not a vegetarian although in recent years, he has warmed up significantly to some of my veggie stuff and cut down on his meat consumption.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'm an on again off again vegetarian, I will be on again this month. yay! I would love to go vegan, but cannot get SO to agree to it and buying separate groceries and preparing separate meals is just too much. From what I hear eating fake meat isn't all too good for you and should be kept to a minimum since its so processed, but ive also heard its better to eat tempeh and less processed forms of soy as well. I'm going to try to do it this time with no meat subs. and minimal tofu usage. Tofu is really great in soups and stir fries tho...so im sure it will still be used. And my son will eat what we have but I wont put limits on what he can have at restaurants or other peoples houses.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 10:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2010