Is this normal?

My son is fifteen months old. I decided that I won't try to potty train him til he's two unless he shows interest earlier. Is that normal for them to not start until they're two?

Also, he still eats with his hands. He's not really interested in the spoon. But I do give it to him when he eats. He mostly just stirs his food around with it.

My view is that he DEFINITELY won't be going to kindergarten without knowing how to go potty by himself or eat with a spoon and fork, so it's not that huge of a deal. What do you think?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine was 2.5 before I started. I waited until he showed all the readiness signs and it took 4 days. I see people starting earlier and it taking them months on end...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i have two boys one is 4 and one is 15 mnths just like urs. my 4 year old just got potty trained this year he was 3 1/2 yrs old. my 15 mnth old doesnt use a spoon either lol i feed him things that is needed to be fed to him with a spoon. because he way too messy lol. but kids all develope on there on pace. my 1st son was 16mnths old b4 he walked. my son who is 15mths now walked at 10mths :) i wouldnt stress over the small things.. regardless they will do things when they r ready NOT when u want them too..
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 6:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My 18 mo old is just starting to learn how to use a spoon and fork and has also started going on the potty, occasionally. I wouldn't initiate PLing until at LEAST 2.5 for a boy... closer to 3 is better. My older son was 3 when he was fully trained. I consider my baby to be a freak of nature for starting so early! haha.

Introduce him to the potty, but don't push. Let him watch his dad or other male family members, talk to him about it, casually. He'll let you know when he's ready for more encouragement. For my 18 mo old, he will wake up dry some mornings, get out of bed trying to rip his diaper off and yell "DADA! MOMMY! PEE-PEE!!!"... so, I take that as him being ready for more encouragement! I don't expect him to be fully trained anytime soon, though, and starting so early leaves plenty of time for regression.

My friend trained both her girls at 2 and started with her son at the same age and he's SO not ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree. wait. he doesn't sound ready.
    Danielle D.

Answer by Danielle D. at 6:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• id say youre fine, we showed our son the potty at 15 months and then again at 18 and he was done at 2, without much trying bu yea i think its normal for them not to notice until 2 and most dont have it done by 3 even also my son liked to use his hands thats normal bc it was easier for him id also give him the spoo and one day my husband showed him how to use it and he did lol so i guess i could have tried that instead of just handing it to him idk if youve tried or not ut if you havent try :)
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My toddler used a fork at 16 months, but a spoon for applesauce/yogurt/etc not until 2 years old. Now she can finally spoon feed herself.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have a 2 year old and he only recently started using a spoon and fork regularly. You are doing great by giving him the spoon and letting him mess around with it. That way he can kind of figure out how it works just by playing with it. My oldest ds was about 3 when he was totally potty trained. There are some exceptions, of course, but GENERALLY speaking most kids don't start til about 2. I put the potty chair in the bathroom when he was about 18 or 20 months, but he didn't care. NOW he likes to sit on it. He's never actually gone yet, but he thinks it is cool to sit there when I go. He does know when he poops, so that is a big step. We are taking an extended trip in a couple of weeks so I haven't started him yet, but when we get back we are going to see how it goes......
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010