How do I handle the situation if I get this other job?

I was recently offered a job and am supposed to start Monday. I just got a call today from a temp agency today and now have an interview tomorrow for another company. This job will pay $3.50/hr more than the job I already have lined up if I get it. The company I am supposed to start with has already invested a lot of time and money into me. I have already had background checks and a drug test done on their dollar. So, assuming I get this other job I am interviewing for tomorrow, what do I say to the one I already have lined up? I personally just want to start the job I already have lined up. There is room for advancement whereas there does not seem to be at this other company but my husband is insisting :-/

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 6:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• This is through temp, right, will it just be temp? I would go with the most promising job, the one your gut tells you to go with. This will be what you will be doing everyday...you want to be happy.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Take the interview and then do wht your gut tells you is best. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Always go through with the interview at least, you have to actually GET the second job before you even have a choice to make. If you don't get it, you'll be thankful you still have that first job. If hopefully you do get offered both jobs and you'll have to make a choice. Take evrything into account.....the higher pay, the benefits, the commute, the workload, the people, the hours, etc. Make a Pros and Cons list of both places if you get offered both jobs, and keep Hubby's opinions in mind to keep the harmony in the house.....but make your own decision! Good Luck!!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 9:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, if you decide to take the other job (assuming they offer it to you) then simply tell the place that already hired you that you found a higher paying job elsewhere.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If both jobs are temp jobs, I might take the higher paying job... if you think you would be happy.

If the higher paying job is temp and the other isn't, I'd take the more permanent job.

If the lower paying job is temp and the other isn't, I'd take the higher paying more permanent job.

If neither job is temp... it's tough. I might take the higher paying job, but I'm not sure that's good advice.
    If, under any circumstances, you believe that one job will make you miserable... take the other one. It's not worth being miserable for money.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'd stick with the job you already have lined up, cancel the other interview.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Thanks luvmy4kidsinAL! Gut says go with the lower paying job because I will enjoy it more and be more sucessful.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have worked for a temp agency. The fact that you have an interview means nothing. They have probably sent 50 other people there the same day you have an appointment. They don't care WHO gets the job as long as someone from their agency gets it because they make a commission. You may be completely not what they are looking for and they are hoping someone makes the cut. You have a permanent job offer, hopefully something with benefits (I know some temp agencies offer benefits, but just try to get them and you will see), and you will be at the lower end of the food chain when or if they have to downsize. The first thing companies get rid of when they downsize is the temps.

sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 11:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would never turn down a permenant job for a temp job, unless the money was really significantly higher and there was a a temp-to-hire job.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010