Could Another example of Obamacare taking choices AWAY from Americans?

McDonald's has been offering part-time staff a low-cost health insurance plan that was affordable/effective. However, due to ObamaCare's mandates, McDonald's may have to end this part-time program. This will leave tens of thousands with no option for coverage except expensive comprehensive ObamaCare mandates plan.
~~~~
McDonald's drop part of their health insurance program because of ObamaCare?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, let's take baby steps... here.

At this point, McDonald's has asked for a waiver. IF they don't get it and IF they drop the coverage because of the new law, then Obamacare has caused Americans to have less choices.

Logic. Everyone should take it. They offer it as a course in community college now. So the answer to your question, Grly, is YES, Obamacare COULD cause the market to maintain less choices than it has now.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• And it's not a matter of "whether or not it's true", it's NOT true. Period. No gray area.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• loss ratios are a critical part of underwriting plans to make sure insurance companies profit. this was not the main concern of the health care bill. the health care bill was an attempt to stop the bleeding of so many americans who cannot get basic healthcare and to move the money that taxpayers are ALREADY SPENDING on the under/uninsured (e.g. when they go to the ER, you pay for this) and to allow people's quality of life to improve. there are many details of health care plan administration that are not going to be dictated by the government. private insurance will still be available.

why bother posting a question if you are just going to get angry when people do what you ask of them which is respond? i have worked in the health insurance industry over 12 years and have also been under- and uninsured. with everything i know, all i can say is it's about damn time for universal coverage. so sick of selfish greed...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• OK, I have family who work for McD's. I am NOT impressed with how they operate, at least at the local level here. It would not surprise me one bit that they drop coverage. It would surely save my DD some hard-earned $$. She is signed up with this insurance plan, has been for almost 2 years, and has yet to find a Dr. who will take it, or will take a new patient. So, a couple months ago, when she needed some minor medical attention, she ended up at the ER, because there was NO doc within an hours drive who would take that insurance. I do see McD's point, that with their amount of employee turnover, it would be very difficult to put such a high percentage of the premium towards patient care rather than administrative costs. But, I'm not sure that I like them getting a special "waiver" for this.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• So in short, the answer to your question is a resounding NO.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Grlygrlz, for the record, that last one was not aimed at you, because I'm pretty sure you're not immature enough to vote my answer down just because it's not agreeing with you...

And sure, EVERYTHING is up for discussion, UNLESS it's been proven to be false or true. After that, it's a fact, and really, there's nothing more to discuss, is there? You asked a question, and I provided the link proving to you that the answer is no. That's all.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Grlygrlz, read the article (and others you can easily find by googling it). They have NO plans to drop the plan, even if they don't get the waiver.
    Anouck

• yes there are many unaddressed issues for employers. this happens frequently in many areas for many people when bills are passed, particularly when they are wide-reaching bills affecting many people, many areas. what's your point? far as i can tell it's just a bunch of people jumping the gun making assumptions. your original question had to do with people's choice being taken away. really, they will just have more choices. the mcdonald's plan is crap overall - not worth getting all that upset about IMO.

the emotion is insinuated by the venom with which you attack.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• since when is the obama administration the only one that passes things that definitions and legalities and details need to be worked out afterward? pretty sure good ol' w led us to a never-ending war and pissed off allies based on alot less. let me guess - THAT was okay with you...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree 100% with big business? How did you jump to that conclusion? But if a company flat out denies an allegation, why should I doubt them? They did not deny they requested a waiver, and like I said, why wouldn't they? Just like me personally, if a "discount" is possibly applicable, why NOT check? If you're going to buy a toddler bed at Toys R Us anyway, but you might be able to use a 20% off coupon, would you not try to use that coupon? I'm sorry, but I really don't see where your confusion is coming from...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010