Homeschooling?

Do you know any homeschooling families? What are your thoughts on homeschooling children? What do you see as the pros and the cons?

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 6:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't believe in homeschooling but that's just me. I believe teaching is for teachers. No bashing, just my opinion.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 7:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My son and DIL are homeschooling their 3 children. It is working for them. They have to show the school department what the children are accomplishing every month. They go to a lot of other group things like gymnastics, science museum classes, and a homeschooling play group. I knew two other families who did it similar to this and their children went into the local high school in 9th grade. All graduated top of their classes. I don't see any cons if it is done like this. JMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow. This is a big question.

Yes, I know homeschoolers. My thoughts on homeschooling is that it is a completely valid way to help a child gain their education... if the parent is ready and willing to put in the right amount and right kind of work to make things happen for their child.

Pros: the child gets to learn at their own pace

Cons: the child misses out on some life experiences (which they would do in public school also, they would just miss different experiences).

That's fairly oversimplified, but 940 characters is not going to hold my homeschooling thesis.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes I know some. we are debating. Im very 50/50!!
    Pro: Learn at own pace, the world is the class room (not just 8am-3pm), smaller class size-more individual attention, no falling through cracks, keep family close, less peer pressure-bullying-gangs/drugs/shoot outs.
    Cons: The experience of being in school.. I dont know why this is even important, but it crosses my mind. Being crammed in a class with 1 teacher is an experience! LOL. The school "pride" stuff...
    But there is ALOT of cons of public school too...Its too much for 1 reply! Must research alot & look at yourself, can u do it. is it whats best for ur kid. family :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It is not for me. My son would not thrive in homeschooling. I think it needs better regulated because my state you are not required to turn in anything to the state.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I am a homeschooling Mom. I feel that it is the best choice for my familiy. I also know how much work it really is on my part. I needd to makes sure they are involved in groups, that they get out there and experiance the real world.

Pro~ Quality of education is far better than they would get in a PS. DD is 5, and in January will be starting 1st grade. She is already reading, adding, and writing in cursive. Acoording to our state she should not even be starting kindergarten till next year(she misses the age cut off by 25 days!).
    They are able to actually get out and socilize!! We go to activities and groups all the time. She is exposed to people of all different backrounds, and ideals. We have Muslims, Athiests, Agostics, Methodists, etc. , in our HSing group. She gets way more social interaction than she would ever get in a PS.
    The list of pro's goes on and on..
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Cons~ Not really any that I can think of. Our state is pretty easy to homeschool in. Which I love. The only thing we need to do is register as a homeschool, then turn in a report of how many days we had school. It is nice since we homeschool year round. I know there are Families out there who take advantage of that though. We do have to purchase all of her curriculum, which does get expensive. But it is well worth it.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I personally wouldn't homeschool.. I think kids gain a lot from school experiences.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Also, you think of "school" experiances like sports, prom, graduation, etc. right? Well homeschoolers can do all of those things. Many school districts will allow homeschoolers to play on the school's team, as well as Parks and Rec. sports. Homeschooled kids can go to the public school's prom(they just need to be invited), we also have many homeschooling groups who will host Proms and dances for the kids. Home schooling groups also hold graduation ceremonies for the kids. So they do experiance all of these things. We have co-ops and tutors etc, so the kids also get that "away from home" school experiance as well.
    I know it is not for everyone, and thats cool. I am just pointing out that yes, homeschooled students do infact get to participate in many of the "school" experiances that a public or private schooled student can.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 2:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• to Rhea:
    Im fortunate enough to live in Texas where they hold the Homeschooling conference yearly. We are a few hours away but hey its "here".... And in Dallas (if memory serves me correct) they hold a HUGE Homeschool Prom every year.. Its amazing! I was a tad bit jealous when I seen it on Youtube. lol...

It really helps if your around big cities or in a community that has alot of homeschoolers that fit your family (some are religion base, so it may not work for everyone)
    Our YMCA does Gym for homeschoolers & i know they get together for projects & class stuff.. so yup your homeschooler can get the classroom experience & his classmates wont be his sibling.
    Also zoos, museums, and stuff have homeschool days on occasion so your child will get the fun "field trip" experience.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010