What is this coughing or wheezing or sneezing??

Ok, it usually happens when she gets so excited, like when we get home or if she's been a sleep for a while and we check on her. She stands up and starts like sucking air into her lungs...don't know if it's a backwards sneeze, someone told us that, if she is overly excited and is breathing in hard or anxiety. It takes her a few to stop it. Do you know what it could be? And yes, I am taking her to the vet but wanted to ask in the mean time.

stayhomemom22

Asked by stayhomemom22 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pets

• I heard the vet say it is a reverse sneeze.. I don't know..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You can usually stop it if you cup her nose and do a quick puff of air into her.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yes, I've heard it's a reverse sneeze, axiety from being excited or asthma(spelling)! I wish dogs when they grew up could talk to us like infants do when they grow up...lol. I will try that Firelass and see if that helps her stop...thanks ladies!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Do you have a Boston Terrier? I have one. She does this, and it is referred to as "reverse sneezing". It doesn't hurt the dog, although sometimes they do get scared. She starts doing it when I come home or if she goes outside sometimes, basically whenever she gets excited about something. It helps my girl if I stroke her throat and speak calmly to her, she usually quiets down pretty quick. The only thing about it that is a pain is when i take her to the park and she starts doing it. People look at me like I'm abusing her! lol
    brokenmelody

Answer by brokenmelody at 9:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My little baby is teacup Chihuahua and she weighs about 15 ounces..it doesn't sound like I need to worry to much then. Thanks ladies for all the advise!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• She could have Allergies,

Have u checked that out..

and maybe just maybe she could be allergic , to herself,
    Anonymous

• ANON....that was just TO funny...hahahaha....NOT!!!!!! Guess I am not in a mood for jokes!!!! :(
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it sounds like she may having something called a collapsing trachea (brachial cephalic ) it's very common in dogs with shorter noses, especially the pugs /bostons /bull dogs type, but it is also common in yorkies, chihuahuas and toy poodles and such, an easy way to determine if this is the problem is if you put a little pressure on her trachea and see if that sets it off(no more pressure then a collar around would put) there is really not much that the vet can do for it, they will most likely just tell you not to use a collar(harness instead) on her to minimize the pressure, it usually isn't too much of a heath concern, the vet may just want to take x-rays every few months to monitor it. you can also find lots of info on it online :-)
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008