Needy Friends

Is it wrong to disassociate yourself from a friend who is too needy?

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 6:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• No, I don't think so. Sometimes you need to get your energy back by taking care of yourself. Too much of a drain.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree. you need to think of yourself first.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No. I had one who spent one hour doing a monologue of how everyone got on her nerves while I sat there taking it all in and then the next tie she would invite herself down to my mil's summer house in Florida unannounced. I had to cut ties too high maintenance and her man was a drunk.....and a bookie...
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They are soul suckers!! You dont have to end the friendship, just distance yourself. If they keep it up, then say bah bye!!
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• no. you have to take care of yourself first - this is not a selfish act. when someone oversteps boundaries this is harmful to you. plus not allowing people to stand on their own two feet is not helpful to them. either way you look at it...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It's the right thing to do. You can just distance yourself from them and tell them that you have to go if they drain you too much. You should not have to be friends with someone that does not make you feel good.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No, that's a lot easier done when they aren't family. When it's a family member, it gets difficult.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010