Are Overweight People Lazy?

Is the fact that a person is overweight or obese proof to you that he/she is too lazy to go on a diet? I know what the politically correct response is, but what do you really think?

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 7:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• Not all of them are. Some, maybe yes and you can usually tell because they are lazy about everything, their appearance, their attitude, just the way they carry themselves. But the ones that you can tell take care of themselves are either happy with their weight, but still stay active, or some try desperately to lose weight but can't. Doesn't mean they are lazy.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 7:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Not really.
    Some are overweight due to hormone imbalances and they have a hard time getting that corrected.
    Others are overweight because they don't believe that they are overweight or are happy with the way they are.
    Others know they are overweight and want to lose weight but don't do anything to change it...they are lazy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Forgot a 4th option - not every overweight person is lazy or not trying to lose weight. Some have already lost large amounts of weight, and are continuing to to lose weight. This is where I'm at.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't think ALL people who are over weight are lazy I am on meds and I am a bit overweight and work my tail off at work it just doesn't come off unless you are in someone elses shoes I don't think you can understand the struggle they may be going through
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow, some of these comments are really insensetive, and not too terribly informed. I am overwieght and I am far from lazy. I don't get time to be lazy, let alone, eat. I have 4 kids. Diabetes with 2 of my pregnancies, which made my weight spiral out of control. I have dieted, excercised and so much more. I can't afford a program, do you have any idea how much that costs? I work a few days a week at 12 hour days, then the rest of the week I'm playing out at clubs and taking care of my small children. Don't be so quick to call someone lazy or weak when you have no idea what their life is like. If it were so simple to just diet and lose weight more people would be succesful. Walk a mile in someones shoes before ya shoot em down.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We can't all judge because i work in a hospital and some people are over weight because their medications ect. So I don't think that anyone should judge!
    KayAZ

Answer by KayAZ at 7:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I feel it is more an emotional eating problem and lack of self control than anything. It is sad- especially children who have been allowed to be comforted by food instead of other options. To maintain an obese weight, it doesn't just happen. It takes alot of binging and over indulgence.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 7:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I know people that are most certainly overweight because they are not active enough for the amount of calories they consume.
    And I also agree with the posters about Strong enough! Totally.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Absolutely NOT.

I do not think that lazy and over-weight are two thinkgs that go hand in hand. There are lazy skinny people, there are hard working and active big people, there are hard working and active skinny people and there are lazy big people.

I think laziness has more to do with personality than weight.

Weight for most people (obviously not all...there are medical conditions out there) comes down to one simple thing..."More Calories in...less calories out."

That does NOT mean that an over weigt person does not exericise. A person can walk on a tredmil for 1 hour a day but if they eat more calories than they burned on the tredmil they are going to gain. Considering that in America a LARGE amount of thin people do not exercise that much...How could you call the person that does lazy?

I'm over weight. I've lost 35 pounds since March and I'm still working on it. I have 2 small children. I can't be lazy.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well with the experience i see in my family yes it is laziness. My sister is way over weight and does absolutely nothing. I am not over weight so i actually get picked on because i am skinny.
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010