how to get him to sleep

my son is 5wks old n i get no sleep at all!!! i went bck to school and im not being productive b/c i keep falling asleep in class,,, any suggestions on how to turn my baby around so he sleeps at night?

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 7:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when u figure it out let me know. my 4 week old is the same way.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Diaper change, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. Leave room and shut door. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. I know there are a lot of moms who will disagree with this method but it is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. Good luck with the baby and your studies!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• we had all the lights on during the day and at night about an hour before bed we turn down the lights so she would learn her days and nights! setting up a bed time routine helped too. diaper change into pjs read story and bottle then bed. try wrapping him in a tight blanket it will feel more like being in ur belly to him. good luck
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When our son was younger, my OBGYN told me to try feeding him every 3 to 4 hours during the day so that he sleeps more during the night. She also said that the baby was going to get the needed calories somehow whether it is during the day or night. If your baby is already eating that often, during the day, I would say, try feeding her every 2 to 3 hours during the day. Also, try being boring during the night time.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 8:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• swaddling and very little light. Other than that, they reall just wake up every few hours becasue they're hungry. Sorry.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• sling, low lights, white/soothing monotone background noise
    LaughterHugs

Answer by LaughterHugs at 11:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Co-sleep. Just roll over and pull out the boob when he wakes up... he'll go right back to sleep! ;) I also use the boob for naps... but both my boys would nap/go to bed with others with rocking, etc... DH has a "special" dance he does with our youngest (sooo sweet!).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I loved the Halo Swaddle Sleep Sacks. They made my son nice and cozy at night and I think when I put him in it, he knew it was time for bed. I also have a Fisher Price Crib Aqaurium that attaches to the side of the crib. The sounds from that helped put him to sleep. When all else failed, I used the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Swing. It was a miracle!! We got it for a good price on craigslist. Good luck and just remember you're not alone in this. This happens to so many new moms. :)
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Thank you all I will try all of that
    jazmya_mom

Comment by jazmya_mom (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010