Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i would like to obtain a form separation of state and property

i am married for 37 years and now my husband wants to take all that we have and leave me so i would like to have a form where he can signed and give me half of what we have.

Answer Question

Asked by escalade1 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Well when you actually get a divorce then they will split your items.

    Answer by Melbornj at 7:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Do you have pre nup or post nup that lays out and guarantees you half of everything? Do you live in a community property state?

    IF the answer is "NO" to those 2 questions. Then you can have something drawn up now, IF he is also in agreement with giving you half. If it is a mutual agreement. Then the 2 of you must go to an attorney, have the agreement drawn up, signed, witnesed and notarized. And in some states, this agreement must also be signed off on by a judge in order to be legally binding..

    If there is no previous agreement, and the 2 of you aren't in mutual agreement and will not/can not go and have an agreement drawn up. Then what you are entitled to will most likely end up depending on : divorce laws in your state.. And the judge you get.

    If you answer is Yes to either one of those questions. Then yes, you will most likely be granted 1/2 of everything the two of you have acquired during the marriage

    Answer by pixie_trix at 7:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • You need to get a lawyer.

    Answer by Leigh519121 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Sounds like you need to scour your state's website concerning this matter. I'd also get in touch with a lawyer and try to get a free consultation.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 8:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • He can't do that. If you are married, then you are entitled to half of everything unless there is a prenup

    Answer by lowencope at 9:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
how soon... adult content

Next question overall (Food & Drink)